Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Nov 13, 03:51 AM  
Link to this Post
liamaxina
VIP Dibber

liamaxina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I don't like the idea of booking fast pass slots days or weeks in advance. It means you are tied down too much. I like to make plans but also to be able to change them if I want to. Part of the fun is arriving at the park you have chosen for that day, rushing to get your first fast pass and planning things depending on how busy each ride is. For example, if I turn up for a pre-booked fast pass slot and discover there is no wait time I'll be really hacked off as I could have maybe got one for a different ride that has a massive wait time. If everything is pre-booked it all becomes too structured and this takes much of the fun out of the holiday. Also, for technophobes like me, an app is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Old 3 Nov 13, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

I've not been on here for a few months and obviously missed all this... when is it actually due to start ( Not the trial period)

Thanks
Old 3 Nov 13, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

We don't know really Rachel. But they have spend billion and half on it, so I don't think it's trail in anyway. It's happening - they are just making sure the technology behaves as expected.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 13, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by footballgetto View Post
I've not been on here for a few months and obviously missed all this... when is it actually due to start ( Not the trial period)

Thanks
The common belief is that it will all go "live" next Spring. The testing is on going and they are currently looking at use by "off site" guests and in this they have targeted the Swan & Dolphin to begin with (It is not a Disney owned hotel even though it is on Disney property).

You don't have to book your FPs "weeks in advance" although many off site guests will take advantage of the 60 days beforehand which may reduce choice if you leave it until on the day!

All FPs can be changed right up to the moment of use.

As previously said. Disney will have counted their beans and will know how many onsite vs offfsite there are on a given day. (It's not just the DIBB who have a busy day guide). The FPs will presumably be distributed in some apportioned way. When we were at Tokyo Disney they have two shows. To get seats you have to enter a lottery - this involves a 40 minute line. You put in your park tickets and say which time you want to see a show. It then either gives you tickets or it doesn't! (as in our case). You cannot try the lottery again the same day.

Edited at 10:43 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 13, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
You don't have to book your FPs "weeks in advance" although many off site guests will take advantage of the 60 days beforehand which may reduce choice if you leave it until on the day!
Geniune question geoffa - do you think offsite guests will get to book 60 days in advance? I know it's pure guess, but what do you think the rules could be?

While I find the change, and the transition amusing I am not really liking it

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 13, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Disney want people to plan their days before they get to the resorts and parks, so I think it is almost a given that Disney will eventually allow off site guests to make fastpass+ selections in advance.

This whole Next Gen upgrade hasn't been done to encourage more people to stay on site or to give those that do stay on site more benefits. Disney resort occupancy is very high already and they could have found a much cheaper way to increase that occupancy level if that was their main goal.

Next Gen is all about marketing and maximising the Dollars they can extract from each guest.

Disney is the driving force bringing visitors to Orlando but there are many other things in and around Orlando that help visitors spend their Dollars, Disney would obviously prefer you to spend those Dollars at Disney, not these other attractions.

Disney knows that if you make your plans before arriving on Disney property then you are more likely to stick to those plans and spend your Dollars on Disney property rather than being distracted by all the other things in and around Orlando.

I'm sure it is also a conscious decision by Disney to not allow fastpass+ selections for multiple parks on the same day. This is probably to discourage park hopping, it's much better for Disney to keep you in the one park all day.
Old 3 Nov 13, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
There's free WiFi in all the parks, so you wouldn't need to pay for data roaming.
I don't have a smart phone or any other gadget to get an app so where does that leave me and all the others like me?
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 13, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Granbran View Post
I don't have a smart phone or any other gadget to get an app so where does that leave me and all the others like me?
There's fastpass plus stations dotted round the parks or you can do it at guest services
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 13, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

OK, dumb question probably but here is my scenario-
First DVC home resort visit next June for four days then staying off site after in a villa with friends.
Want to buy annual passes when I get there with DVC discount.
How do I make my 60 day FP reservations, linked with a pass I haven't bought yet?
I assume also I will have a different no of passes avail on site days as compared to off site days in the days after?
Or can I link the FP to my DVC booking!?

Alll very confusing and I feel sorry for those visiting right now! must be fen more so!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 13, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

I'm just glad I'm only drawn to epcot ! I couldn't be doing with this extra hassle at 4 other parks. Like others have said the fun has been removed. we have structure on a day to day basis and certainly don't want it on holiday. After this holiday next year, this ridiculous system could be a deal breaker for us in future.