Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Aug 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

From Chicago to LA by car and train - August 2017 - Day 0

Travel day was finally here!

I don't know about you but I always like reading what happens on Day 0 and Travel Day in other trip reports. I think it's the excitement of it all!

Our first job was to take the hamster to the pet sitter and then when DS and I returned, I manically threw away rubbish, hoovered and changed bedding. After all this was done it was time to go. We were all packed the previous night so it was now time to make our way to our overnight hotel at Manchester Airport...once I did online check in.

We haven't flown outside of Europe for 10 years and the last time we went to the USA DH got pulled by immigration who wanted to know why he had a new passport. (We'd lost them a week before we flew... a story for another time!) DH also had a new passport this time but it was a couple of months old. Online check in was going swimmingly until it said we would need to finalise check in at the airport. Oh dear, not looking good.

With that done it was time for DS and I to get the train to Manchester Airport. A quick lunch at Subway in the station and we were off. The train was packed and DS behaved really well even though we had the bulk of the luggage to deal with too. DH didn't finish work till later that evening and I couldn't bear the thought of watching the clock till he got home so the excited party set off first.

We were too early for check in at Radisson Blu but luckily they had a room. DS's medicine was safely stored in the minibar so I had the bright idea of trying to sort out the check in issue with American Airlines which involved a wild goose chase between terminals 1 and 3 (in the rain) only to eventually find them ... and they'd all gone home! You can imagine how impressed we were with that!

The only thing that could save the day (and DS's patience) was a Pink Jammie doughnut from Greggs. With a happy boy back in tow we got back to the hotel and went off for a quick swim. I was a bit underwhelmed by the pool...it was quite small and bland I suppose but DS enjoyed splashing around. He also enjoyed laughing at me as my unruly hair had been tamed at the hairdressers the previous day and I was protecting it with a hotel shower cap!

After swimming we went for dinner in the hotel. I had the extremely tasty pork belly and DS had the kids buffet. He managed to have a few bits and pieces. The staff were fantastic with him...treated him as if he was a paying customer and took him to get the newer items from the buffet so I could eat my dinner which I thought was a lovely gesture.

By this time DH's train was almost here so we went to meet him. A start of holiday beer in the hotel bar and then it was time for bed. Tomorrow we would be going to the USA!
fillmore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds like a great pre travel day!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh dear , bit of stress there on the check in, hope it goes ok tomorrow but always exciting getting to the airport on pre travel day.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sounds great so far... I think u need a bit of hassle to keep adrenaline going. Now it's discovered (online check in) u can sort it tomorrow iykwim

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List