Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annachief View Post
And your basis of this judgement is on a few people that worked for you?

Unless you know everyone’s situations on benefits I’m not sure you can judge who is worthy or not.
Yes I can, but Don't let hard facts get in the way of your supercilious view. I have a son that will never be able to work or fend for himself. I'm sick of the freeloaders that think they are entitled to money from the state because they won't tow the line and work. These are not people that need the help, they're using and abusing a system that's in place for people like my son. I have personal experience of both sides, and sadly my experience of a few people that 'worked' for me is not unique.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
DH picks up his new car tomorrow which will have no fuel in. If he can’t fill up he won’t be able to go to work ………. As an hgv driver
How did you get on ?
I would have rind the garage up and see if they could have filled it up for you ( at a cost to you )
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
annachief
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
Yes I can, but Don't let hard facts get in the way of your supercilious view. I have a son that will never be able to work or fend for himself. I'm sick of the freeloaders that think they are entitled to money from the state because they won't tow the line and work. These are not people that need the help, they're using and abusing a system that's in place for people like my son. I have personal experience of both sides, and sadly my experience of a few people that 'worked' for me is not unique.

Dave
Ok I have also a son with disabilities and I’m not sure whether he’ll be able to work or be independent but not sure how that’s relevant? Anecdote doesn’t equal data.
annachief is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So this morning, newspapers reporting that BP ramped this thing up to get the government to relax visa rules for foreign HGV drivers.
Heard a German politician on the radio yesterday saying that this issue was Europe wide and mainly because younger people don’t want to “work hard” (his words not mine) and put the unsocial and long hours in.
Heard HGV drivers yesterday on 5 live saying that foreign drivers are not the answer citing poor driving, and complete and total inefficiencies at distribution centres leaving them sitting around for hours (sometimes days over a weekend) running out of their driving hours.

Finally, I do wish the Bremainers would give it a rest - it’s like a red card in football. It is done and not going to get overturned (ok, rarely they do in footie but you get my point)
I can honestly say I’ve never once had a truck stay for days somewhere because of driving hours .. the U.K. isn’t that big of a place . Hours yes , days nope ..if someone was out of hours they are nearly always fetched back in , mostly because to make it pay truck do two loads per day.
A truck sat on a bay for days is losing money big time .

My husband has been driving for 35 years and I’ve always worked in haulage ..

20 years ago my husband worked for a agency it was good money , it’s not far off the same rates now , why?
Simple we had a influx of foreign drivers many living in multiple occupancy houses . Turners bought vast amounts of houses to house the workers .. it’s a lot easier to manage on a lower wage in a shared house , than for someone with a mortgage and kids .

One large company near here has its own compound for Eastern Europeans with shops and a football pitch etc .

Wages absolutely need to rise for hgv drivers , But someone needs to tell the supermarkets to up their rates that they give to their hauliers .
You simply can’t pay more if there isn’t any more to give, these trucks aren’t cheap to keep on the road.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
We would not need to take people from their countries if we offered free training in this country.
It really annoys me when we have to do this. We never seem to think of the impact on those countries we recruit from. Same when we think we can take their nurses carers doctors fruit pickers.
There's an outcry going on now about removing the extra £1000 benefits to those who get them. Here's a novel idea. Allow people to keep this money if they train for one of the jobs we have a shortage in.
60 thousand nurses
10 thousand hgv drivers.
There's a million unemployed give them the incentive. Free training £15 an hour minimum wage.
Problem in this country is big business and government won't pay for training. They would rather take the cheap option of pinching other countries trained workers.sad really.

And companies have offered free training and I’ll tell you what happens ..
They are put through their hgv course , the requirement being they stay with the company for a period of time ( usually 2 years )
Seems fair yes ? £3k course and test for free .

And the reason most companies have stopped is because far to many get their HGV licence work for a bit and that’s the last you see of them ..Or the job isn’t what they thought blah blah . So £3k down the drain .

It’s a 100k shortage for hgv drivers not 10k

But when you can earn the same wage working in a warehouse or someone like Aldi I can’t say I blame people for not wanting to be a HGV driver .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

There is no fuel shortage - I guess that’s the important part.

The number of drivers available & qualified to deliver fuel hasn’t changed in any great numbers since Jan 1st. Fuel delivery drivers require ADR qualifications on top of Class 1 licence.

The current problems are 100% media driven.

Fuel tanker drivers are pretty much the best paid drivers in the country earning in the range of £50k per annum. This has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit or COVID.

It’s embarrassing how media driven we are as a nation, everyone needs to settle down (re fuel).

Personal view is that the media need addressing over this as it’s causing hysteria and impacting on emergency services, but that’s a different discussion.
Old 26 Sep 21, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

No petrol to be had for miles round here, not going to use up what's left searching for it! Had to take a train instead of drive to a family event ok Saturday (that's fine) but on Sunday we won't be able to take the kids to swimming lessons without more petrol. Thanks panic buyers! Just really feel for the people who really need the fuel for the jobs we were standing there clapping for a year ago, and now seem to have forgotten all about...
Old 26 Sep 21, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Seems to have affected heating oil now, boiler juice not even quoting for our area, and places where I can get a quote are 15p per litre higher than two weeks ago and delivery isn’t until mid October. Luckily I insisted we got ours a month ago, but DH didn’t order his mother’s oil, so she will be paying £200 more than we did.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
But when you can earn the same wage working in a warehouse or someone like Aldi I can’t say I blame people for not wanting to be a HGV driver .
But HGV wages are good, obviously varies from company to company but the food distribution company I work for pay HGV class 2 driver a basic £39,800 plus bonuses. You can’t get that in a warehouse or Aldi
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gally1968 View Post
The current problems are 100% media driven.

The current problem is 1% media who had the audacity to report BP had a few localised supply issues.

The other 99% is because the vast majority of the British public are idiots who can’t think for themselves.

It’s the same reason we had stockpiling at first lockdown, that we’re no longer in the EU and have a racist liar as a PM who will probably be reelected due to the Labour Party having the worst opposition leader in living memory.

If I was 21 I’d be looking to emigrate as this country is only going to get worse over the coming years

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List