Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 15 Jan 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
WBTA on the Magic from Dover - tell me about it please

Is it a new itinerary? Looking at previous trippies on here they seem very different. And I know in 2017 it sailed from Barcelona (because I reluctantly got off it just before, after a fab week in the Med!)

Anyone done Dover to NY? Did you stay in NY afterwards? Where, and how long for?

Tell me everything!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I think last year was the first Dover to NY one so you might be able to find some trip reports on that one.

The 2017 went Barcelona to NY so I stayed 1 night after in NY. I splashed out and stayed at the Casablanca Hotel as it was right on Time Square. It was lovely but I probably would stay near Central Park next time as I spent most time there. I only stayed one night which was due to getting a reward flight for the return with Virgin and it only being available the night after the cruise. As it was the cruise had to miss its last port so actually overnighted in New York the day before so I got an extra day in NY which I was glad of. I think if I did this again and actually wanted to spend time in NY I'd go for at least 2 nights.
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
First up, the negatives ...

1. It's not a warm cruise so if you want warm and sunbathing, you will probably be out of luck.

2. The seas can be a little rough depending on the weather.

3. Lots of sea days (if you dislike them!)

Good bits ...

1. Lots of sea days!

2. The longer cruises are lovely with lots of exclusive stuff going on, only available on the longer cruises.

3. Ports in Canada are really friendly and walkable mainly.

4. Who doesn't love sailing past the statue of liberty and mooring in the heart of Manhattan?

We're only not doing it as we have done all of the ports and we prefer warmer cruises. Sailing from Dover is great - high speed train from St Pancras down to Dover Priory then a quick cab to the terminal.
What's not to love?!
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Majik
slightly serious Dibber

We did this last year. We weren’t sure to be honest when we booked it as Portland is quite close to where we live and we had been to Sydney and Halifax on two previous Transatlantic. However we hadn’t been to Cobh and St John and love the longer cruises so we went ahead and had a great time.
We have booked for this year and are staying on to do a back to back to Bermuda because we haven’t been there before.
In 2017 on the Barcelona to New York we stayed on in New York for a few days. Last year we flew down to Orlando to stay in our villa.

Beautiful views from our 3 bedroom villa at
Hunters Creek
www.villas4orlandoflorida.com

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-search.php?a=405
Majik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks all.

We are not pool people and don’t sunbathe so that’s OK. The Med cruise was quite windy and rainy too!

Loved sea days, in fact we stayed on the ship instead of going to Rome.

I am currently watching some YouTube vlogs by Lisa Preece who was on the same cruise as us, and it’s really making me want to go back on the Magic!
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Thanks all.

We are not pool people and don’t sunbathe so that’s OK. The Med cruise was quite windy and rainy too!

Loved sea days, in fact we stayed on the ship instead of going to Rome.

I am currently watching some YouTube vlogs by Lisa Preece who was on the same cruise as us, and it’s really making me want to go back on the Magic!
The Magic is calling you Gill
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Related question - what about Northern Europe? Slightly dearer and only 7 nights rather than 10, but without the expense of New York.
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Loved Barcelona to New York, sailing into NY is one of the best things we have done !

Lots of sea days, and not very warm, however the pools are heated as you travel across so you can still go in them.

We went in the pool late af night in the middle of the Atlantic fully clothes in our ball gown with the crew! FAB.

It’s a really good one.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed in NY for three night after it’s was good and just long enough with the children.
Got really cheap flighs back with TC.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
That's good to know.

Our problem is, this year is a bit weird. We are likely to have to move from London to South Wales to take care of my parents - which means a change of job for my husband (I can keep mine, fortunately!) Plus, our little cat is 17 now and has quite a few ailments, and the insurance won't pay for them any more. So, lots of calls on our money and uncertainty over the future.

We know we could afford the Northern Europe cruise, and the only extra costs would be trains to/from Dover, a hotel overnight in Dover, and spends. We are confident we could manage that, whatever happens this year.

However, although the Transatlantic is much better value, we'd have to add on a flight home from New York, plus probably two nights in a hotel (and they are crazy expensive) - plus we would definitely want to see a show, we're theatre nuts. Now we could probably save up enough for all that - but we can't guarantee it.

Here's an idea. We booked through ToaD last time and are happy to do so again. Would it be possible to put down a deposit on the Northern Europe cruise, but then later, change to the Transatlantic if we find we can afford it? I guess you take the risk of fewer staterooms being available - but to be honest I don't think that would be a deal breaker for us.

Edited at 08:23 AM.