Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 25 Jan 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CreakingStool
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Experts - How would you approach Universal in our situation

Hi All,

I'm starting to look at our Universal stay now and getting to understand the rides and parks in general but I'm really not sure how to approach the parks to get the best out of them, particularly to enjoy HP.

We have 3 nights staying at RPR midweek so have the FOLP for 4 days. We have the 3 park tickets, the waterpark will have only just opened, it might be so heaving its not worth a visit, unsure of this.

2 Adults and 2 children. DH will definitely want to go on the 'big' rides if no-one else does so we would be factoring in most of the parks rides I imagine.

I expect we will arrive at the hotel around lunchtime, we will be travelling in from AMI and after 5 nights of relaxation to get over the Disney parks I think we will be ready for some park time straight away.

We will be leaving for the airport on the 4th day at around 3pm I would imagine, possibly a little earlier. Our Disney tickets will still be valid so we could decide to visit a Disney park our last morning although this is probably unlikely.

Any advice on how to approach out visits to the parks?

A long awaited Disney Fix. DLP June 2023, me and my girl

Edited at 01:40 PM.
CreakingStool is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Be there for early opening rope drop as much as possible. Get the first Hogwarts Express available on one of the days over to Universal. Much more enjoyable when quiet and then with express passes you can do as you please the rest of the time. Single rider lines were walk on pretty much last time we went.
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I think you are going in May when the parks will be quieter and it will not be quite as humid. You can easily walk from RPR to citywalk in ten minutes so on your first day, I would take your time and either do that or get the boat. The nearest park is Islands of Adventure so personally on the first day I would concentrate on that park.

Not sure which park is early opening that month but whichever it is, get there early the next day, and if its Universal, enjoy your day there. There is no Fast Pass for Gringotts but the queue (once you are inside) is great fun anyway as there is so much to see

With FOLP's you will easily be able to see all you want and do in the time you are there and make sure you take mid afternoon breaks at the hotel as well, perhaps swim and cool off.

There is nothing better than going back to Islands of Adventure in swim shorts knowing you are going to get absolutely soaked on Popeye and Dudley do right

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cindy2015
Getting Excited

Hey there

If you have 3 nights in RPR but are travelling from AMI on the first day then I would suggest heading straight to the park after check in. You'll get lots done with the FOLP even if you hit the park at lunch time - you could stay in the park until closing. There's lots of debate as to whether the early morning entry is any benefit for HP and some people say its much better in the evening. There's plenty of discussions here to have a look at and decide how best to approach the HP areas that but do the Hogwarts Express both ways - my preference is from Diagon Alley as they wait area is better imo.

If it was me I would stay around Universal/IoA on the last day as you'll be so close, I wouldn't want to waste time travelling to Disney. A suggestion would be to check out early, pick your fav rides the night before and head straight for them and then maybe a dip in the pool before leaving for the airport ?

Have fun is the main thing.

C
Cindy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We stayed at RPR for four nights in August a few years back. It was perfectly located and was probably the right amount of time for us to see and do everything, our favourite rides a lot more than once. You can either walk along the path into the parks(10 minutes) go by boat or there were also people on bikes with gondolas on the back( not sure if that's what they are called, you just tip them) and they drive you along the footpath. You are there in minutes. We were first in the queue to get in to the park on our first morning ( about half hour before early entry we started queuing) and headed to Gringrotts to do this first. We then used the fastpasses for everything else. As it was August, we made sure we went back to the hotel and cooled off at the pool from lunchtime onwards and then went back in in the evening where there is a completely different atmosphere on the rides.
Personally I would spend your last day at Universal, maybe shopping, doing one or two of your favourite rides. We spent some time on our last day just wandering all the gift shops, Citywalk and looking for the pressed penny machines for DD to collect followed by a last dip in the pool, which was a great fun pool.
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We stayed at RPR for four nights in August a few years back. It was perfectly located and was probably the right amount of time for us to see and do everything, our favourite rides a lot more than once. You can either walk along the path into the parks(10 minutes) go by boat or there were also people on bikes with gondolas on the back( not sure if that's what they are called, you just tip them) and they drive you along the footpath. You are there in minutes. We were first in the queue to get in to the park on our first morning ( about half hour before early entry we started queuing) and headed to Gringrotts to do this first. We then used the fastpasses for everything else. As it was August, we made sure we went back to the hotel and cooled off at the pool from lunchtime onwards and then went back in in the evening where there is a completely different atmosphere on the rides.
Personally I would spend your last day at Universal, maybe shopping, doing one or two of your favourite rides. We spent some time on our last day just wandering all the gift shops, Citywalk and looking for the pressed penny machines for DD to collect followed by a last dip in the pool, which was a great fun pool with a lovely pool bar drinks menu
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Personally I would spend your last day at Universal, maybe shopping, doing one or two of your favourite rides. We spent some time on our last day just wandering all the gift shops, Citywalk and looking for the pressed penny machines for DD to collect followed by a last dip in the pool, which was a great fun pool with a lovely pool bar drinks menu
Sorry, no idea why my response has doubled. My IPad is having a moment, or maybe it's me haha
Old 25 Jan 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

HP strategy. Apart from the summer the early entry mostly applies to Islands of Adventure and thus Hogsmeade. Get to the park gates a good halff hour before early entry because sometimes they open those turnstiles a bit early. Head straight to Hogsmeade. CMs will stop you running and will also make you go the route they want you to go. Head straight to Forbidden Journey and ride. Then head straight to Ollivanders for wand show. By now you will have spent some 45 minutes in the park. Head to Hogsmeade station and be one of the first to catch the Hogwarts Express to Kings Cross for Diagon Alley (You will need a two park ticket to do this.) Ride the first train, head into Diagon Alley on arrival - to your left and "through the wall". Head straight to Gringotts and get in line for Escape from Gringotts ride. You should be about 5 minutes ahead of the general public if you are lucky. After the first hour wait time soars. Return to the Alley or get the train back to Hogsmeade to explore the areas in depth.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
CreakingStool
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Mobile

Thanks everyone, this is excellent advice

An tips on restaurants? Either in parks, citywalk or resorts? We celebrate a wedding anniversary while there and would like to go somewhere nice that we'll all enjoy. Is it necessary to make reservations ahead of time at Universal?

A long awaited Disney Fix. DLP June 2023, me and my girl

CreakingStool is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by CreakingStool View Post
An tips on restaurants? Either in parks, citywalk or resorts? We celebrate a wedding anniversary while there and would like to go somewhere nice that we'll all enjoy. Is it necessary to make reservations ahead of time at Universal?
We had a meal at Mythos at Islands of Adventure last year and found it very relaxing, different surroundings and food was better than normal park food but not too dear. We did pre-book a table and only had to wait a few minutes whereas people walking up were being quoted 45 mins wait.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List