Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 May 21, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Navigator app and wifi

I was planning to stick to pay as you go wifi - just send out a couple of messages to family etc when we first board to confirm we got through testing etc (fingers crossed we do!) We’d still be in port then, so hopefully I could use my mobile data for that? Then I’d just go pretty much without wifi while on board, except for possibly messaging my DD on board if we split up etc.

But then I realised we’ll need regular access to the navigator app for all kinds of things. Does this mean everyone will need to get a wifi package to cover connection to the app? If so, do we know which package is likely to be enough cover a three night trip? I assume if you go over the limit, it returns to pay as you go?
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 03:59 PM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
assos
VIP Dibber

I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use mobile data while in port - I know there is usually mobile service on board the ships that would be charged at roaming rates, however I’m assuming (and could well be wrong) that your phone wouldn’t roam onto that if it could pick up your normal network (assuming the onboard cell is even active while in port).

For messaging each other on board you could use the ‘wave’ phones (cordless phones - they put 2 in every stateroom for exactly this) probably clunky, but wouldn’t cost anything!

Finally using the WiFi for the navigator app is free 🙃
Old 3 May 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stevejc
Earning My Ears

You can use the navigator app on board without using paid for wifi. Also, previously on DCL, iMessages were free to send and receive when not connected to wifi (text only not multimedia)

Lastly, if you sign up on embarkation day, they used to (probably still do) give you 50Mb free per stateroom, just be careful to switch things off that automatically update in the background (like photo uploads etc)
stevejc is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
You can message each other onboard on the app using the app's wifi which is free.

There is a desk with a dedicated member of staff showing you how to turn off all your roaming so you won't get charged!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. I’m no good at anything technological, so I’ll definitely have to seek assistance to make sure I’m not unwittingly using wifi that I don’t want or need. (Although my 13 year old will probably just sort it for me in seconds!)

That’s great that we don’t need to use wifi for the app, makes it much easier. I don’t know if I’d want to carry around anything clunky, so I’ll use my phone for messaging - if it’s free then great, and if I have to pay, it shouldn’t be much for text messages anyway.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
assos
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
I don’t know if I’d want to carry around anything clunky, so I’ll use my phone for messaging - if it’s free then great, and if I have to pay, it shouldn’t be much for text messages anyway.
FWIW - I meant clunky as in not as easy as messaging on your own phone - I don't think they're particularly big (in fact looking at some pictures I think they might be smaller than many current smartphones.

That said if messaging is available in the app then that's definitely going to be easier, than carrying another device around!
Old 3 May 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by assos View Post
FWIW - I meant clunky as in not as easy as messaging on your own phone - I don't think they're particularly big (in fact looking at some pictures I think they might be smaller than many current smartphones.

That said if messaging is available in the app then that's definitely going to be easier, than carrying another device around!
Ah i get it now - I was picturing a brick-like early 90s mobile phone! 🤣 In my head, it was a perfect cuboid made of textured beige plastic!

Having said that, I really am hopeless with technology, so I’d prefer to avoid any kind of clunky phone, whether it’s clunky in size or clunky to use!

Edited at 10:00 PM.