Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 May 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Disney dining credit- does this mean no dining plans?

Just as the title asks really, if they are doing this dining credit, are we assuming no return of the dining plan next year?
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Just as the title asks really, if they are doing this dining credit, are we assuming no return of the dining plan next year?
I think the credits will be around for a while and does have its advantages and disadvantages. It for us gives us more flexibility but needs to per person not room but I can’t imagine they will do that but you never know.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I think disney will bring back the paid for dining plan in some form at some point once they get the capacity back in restaurants but possibly not free dining as it was.

They know at the moment people are going to go and spend without any real incentives esp post covid and the 50th anniversary coming up.

Free dining has mostly been for uk customers who make up a relatively small number of annual guests and they know from previous experience that we will still go even without free dining and it has been rumored for a while they they would eventually stop free dining so offering a reduce deal going forward will save them a lot of money and probably have little impact on the overall numbers.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

it looks like it will definitely come back with all the signs but not free anymore ,unless of course people stop booking then they may rethink... Plenty of people (like me) though that have re booked even though its not the deal they wanted!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

I can’t see them running it along side this dining credit offering but maybe 2023.
I did notice that the new Gelateria in the Italian pavilion at Epcot doesn’t have the snack credit signs so this would suggest it won’t be returning anytime soon.

Edited at 11:12 AM.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

I don't think the free dining plan is coming back anytime soon and it maybe never return.
If everyone books the $950 offer in the future Disney might consider reducing it for new offers. If people seem happy with £600 instead of £2600 why offer in the future. Free dining had a good run and WDW are using the pandemic to chop it along with many other things.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
I think at the moment Disney isn't sure. And therefore they are hedging their bets due to the variability of restrictions into the future. Dining credits are easier to manage if, for example, the worst happens and sit down restaurants cannot reopen or have to close again in 12 months time because of a fourth wave or new variant or whatever.

I do think dining plans will return in the future, and probably next year (or maybe late this year). Their website seems to indicate that dining plans will return in the future. But when, and whether they will remain without being removed again, is unknown.

Having said, I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney went solely with dining credits from this point on. I'm just surprised they do it on a per room basis rather than a per person basis.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Like my learned friend above, I believe that Dining Plans will return just as soon as Disney feels they can do so. Their major limitation right now is capacity in a couple of ways:

- Table service: Social distancing means tables are very widely spread out now. In a couple of recent Chef Mickey vlogs we've watched, it's almost ridiculous how much space there is between the tables.

- Quick service: with all ordering being via mobile, there is a limitation of pick-up slots available, particularly around popular meal-times. This means, for example, people are now ordering their food early in the morning for a lunch pick-up as they know if they leave it until lunch-time there'll be no pick-up slots available. This becomes a bit of a vicious circle, as morepeople order earlier and earlier to ensure they don't miss out. As soon as you've missed out on lunch once or twice, you'll probably do the same too!

Once Disney has extra capacity, I'm sure the Dining Plans will be back, but it looks as though that ship has already sailed for UK visitors in 2022. I can't see them offering Free Dining (Plans) for 2022 now, as for many it would prove to be a better offer than those who have booked with Dining Credits will have.

Roll on 2023?!?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Latics
Apprentice Imagineer

Latics's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It’s great for people who book to stay at Disney regardless. Free DDP might have swayed us for next year but back to Plan A for us and will rebook for the I-Drive 😎
Latics is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Thanks all, sorry I didn't mean free dining, just the dining plan in itself. Really can't decide whether to stay on or off site, the disney credit offer isn't enticing me enough to stay onsite. But if we can get a package including food at a price I'm happy with I would consider.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List