Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Nov 17, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Question Are we mental?...

Hey there guys...HELP!
We're freaking out a wee tad, and are also slightly clueless (you'd think we'd be more clued up after 5 trips )
Our flights are currently available to book with BA at a very reasonable £1605 (after Avios discount for 2 adults, 1 16yo, 1 6yo) however...
we have enough Virgin miles to get 3 reward flights with a £240 addition for the 15,000 miles that we're require for the 4th flight!

The obvious positive with the miles option is that Virgin are direct from Glasgow...and we had an absolute nightmare last time with BA via Gatwick on the way home when our daughter got quite sick and we had a 4 hour wait for our flight up to Glasgow ...we swore we'd only go direct in future (and here we are debating it! But Virgin are so flipping expensive! And so are TC in comparison to BA btw!)

However...Virgin have only released PE reward flights for the outbound flight, and as yet our return flight isn't available. Does anyone know... what's the likelihood of them releasing Economy reward flights anytime soon?! Anyone managed to bag some in the past around now?! And are we completely mental for not just booking with BA (in case their prices go up!) and saving our miles for PE on our next trip

Any help would be really very greatly appreciated
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,

Edited at 01:27 AM.
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don’t have any advice other than to say I would always go direct if I can. We only go indirect in the winter when we have no other choice.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

I would go with the BA flights at such a good price. We always go indirect gla-gtwk-Mco but use premier inn rooms for stopovers. We had a long wait heading home last time and if that happens again (flight delay) I'm going to get a day room.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Sorry can't help with most of the questions in your post as much of it is personal preference. I have never done indirect but would do if the savings were considerable enough.

To answer your title question , no, you are not mental, that is a complex medical issue , whereas you just seem to be discussing different flight options on a trip to Florida
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I don’t have any advice other than to say I would always go direct if I can. We only go indirect in the winter when we have no other choice.
Yeah we feel the same, having gone direct twice out of the 5 previous trips, we were adamant after last time that we would only go direct next trip but it's just so tempting to book with BA as they're sooooo much cheapness ...could then add to our miles and maybe get a cheeky wee extra trip in PE sometime unexpected . Plus we have no idea if/when Virgin will release economy reward flights so it's a bit of a risk. I totally realise that there are far worse dilemmas in life
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KC2014 View Post
I would go with the BA flights at such a good price. We always go indirect gla-gtwk-Mco but use premier inn rooms for stopovers. We had a long wait heading home last time and if that happens again (flight delay) I'm going to get a day room.
Yeah that's a good shout, thanks! We've done it that way the past 2 trips, and first time was possibly easier as we literally got of one plane and onto the other on the return leg...this option is currently available at a really good price so we're getting tempted. It's for peace of mind now I think too.
Old 4 Nov 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Sorry can't help with most of the questions in your post as much of it is personal preference. I have never done indirect but would do if the savings were considerable enough.

To answer your title question , no, you are not mental, that is a complex medical issue , whereas you just seem to be discussing different flight options on a trip to Florida
Ah well ya see there in lies the mammoth problem...the savings against the reward flights are nonexistent because it will inevitably be cheaper if we're only paying the tax...however...there's obviously no guarantee (other than Virgin rep trying very hard to reassure/convince us) that reward flights will come up. And, as much as I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie risk taker type, I feel that my very slight definitely not so complex medical issue may be my down fall and my Disney loving, far less mental husband will throttle me if we end up having to pay thousands more for the not so fun indirect route to get to our happy place

Actually on reflection...and after re-reading my own post...I feel I might have answered my own question...It might be time to just give in, be boring (but sensible) and book the much cheapness BA flights
Old 4 Nov 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I wasn't joking re the use of the word mental :-(
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would always go direct.
Old 4 Nov 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by -kat- View Post
Yeah we feel the same, having gone direct twice out of the 5 previous trips, we were adamant after last time that we would only go direct next trip but it's just so tempting to book with BA as they're sooooo much cheapness ...could then add to our miles and maybe get a cheeky wee extra trip in PE sometime unexpected . Plus we have no idea if/when Virgin will release economy reward flights so it's a bit of a risk. I totally realise that there are far worse dilemmas in life
I was hoping at some point to use my VA miles for reward flights but availability is not great. It is a gamble to be honest and I can’t advise. Sorry!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List