Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I'm a fatty and the only thing wrong with me is I have a knee. I'm sure people would love to blame my weight for that but it was actually originally caused by an injury incurred in an aerobics class. I often wonder if I would have two good knees if I'd never done aerobics. 🤔
My knees are both shot from years of jumping up and down teaching Les Mills classes and spin.

1 knee op down, and when they told me I needed another I gave up teaching the high impact classes and just taught Body Balance, Yoga & Spin - was getting too old to be particularly inspirational to the younger ones anyway!

BTW, this thread is horrendous!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I feel very sorry for the OP. All she said was that we as a nation are 1 in 3 obese.
Nothing personal at all. She wasn't 'getting at' any one person who is overweight simply commenting on the state of the nation. If you look at old news film from the 1950's or before there are hardly any people even plump let alone obese. THIS is the problem that needs to be tackled - and all those people answering here who say they can't control their weight for medical or mental reasons - I believe you, but why were there no people like you before 1950? ( that's a rhetorical question BTW; I have no idea of the answer). Something somewhere has gone terribly wrong with the nation's diet and lifestyle. This isn't about individuals it's about the whole country
See my previous post about the dramatic change our lifestyles have undergone since the 1950s. You should also check out Historical Fat People on instagram- we’ve always existed, we just haven’t been acknowledged.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
My knees are both shot from years of jumping up and down teaching Les Mills classes and spin.

1 knee op down, and when they told me I needed another I gave up teaching the high impact classes and just taught Body Balance, Yoga & Spin - was getting too old to be particularly inspirational to the younger ones anyway!

BTW, this thread is horrendous!
I don't think water aerobics in a too shallow pool with concrete floor did much good either to be honest.
But of course these are just excuses because we are all soo lazy and greedy. Still it makes for funny photos on trip reports doesn't it?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

How slim do you think I look In this picture ?

Believe it or not Im just a whisper outside of clinically obese and into overweight !

BMI is nonsense sometimes ( well I think so anyway ! )

Old 12 Aug 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post

Believe it or not Im just a whisper outside of clinically obese and into overweight !

Wow . Wish my missus was nearly clinically obese if that’s what she would look like 😂
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1

If I was the correct BMI I would have to be on a horse jockey diet
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

This post sums up the validity of BMI IMO. It's outdated and does not take body type, muscle mass or fat % into consideration.

We used to use an Inbody machine at the gym when I was still teaching, I've never been what anyone would class as skinny, even when teaching approx 20 classes a week, the machine always told me I was 'perfect' with regard to fat / muscle %'s, yet BMI wise I always fell into 'overweight'.

At the time I was wearing size 9 jeans and 12 tops - go figure.

I'm a mesomorph body type, we build muscle very easily and weigh more because of that.

We won't discuss what the machine would say now but I'm honestly over it, I'm healthy and for the first time in my life have no idea what I weigh, my state of mind is SO much better for that acceptance.

I've spent years and years obsessing about weight and body type, I've also watch many, many instructors who most would deem as perfect with shocking body dysmorphia, obsessing on every extra ounce of fat they may or may not be carrying, it's not healthy and nor is judging people on it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Where has this obsession with BMI come from?

Obesity is obvious and doesn't need a measurement.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if I am repeating what already has been said.
The BMI thing is guide, there needs to be in guidelines in life. A doctor will not tell you to loose weight if your BMI is high but your body is slim. Prime example is my husband, when he was a professional rugby player he was lean as anything but muscular so his BMI put him as overweight. His team doctor laughed at this because it was commonplace.
Some level of common sense comes into place obviously.

I am currently overweight at the moment and it is really getting me down. I can give you my excuses, i am menopausal, under active thyroid, thyroid has growths on it so they struggle get the right dose, I have a bad knee plus I suffer from anxiety, when I am anxious I eat.
However, the simple fact is I eat too much! I consume far too many calories, I am greedy, never feel full. Left to my own devices I would be grossly obese but I jog every day and constantly trying new diets etc because being overweight depresses me. I am ashamed at my weight at the moment and very sensitive about it but I can not get offended by any ‘fat’ comments because I know its true.

I have one child at primary, one at high school and one at college. The amount of overweight and or obese children is staggering and scary!
If I feel self conscious about my weight and feel down about it, how do they feel! It brakes my heart.
The amount of children, primary children, calling into the local toffee shop on the way to school is eye opening, heading into school eating sweets & chocolate and drinking fizzy pop. Obviously breakfast on the go! Then the majority of the primary children call the same shop straight from school for more sweet treats!

I do not know what the government can do about it 🤷
It is certainly cheaper to eat rubbish than to eat healthy.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Where has this obsession with BMI come from?

Obesity is obvious and doesn't need a measurement.
Because it is what the NHS uses to decide who is and who is not clinically obese. For instance if you go for surgery your BMI is measured , if you have a health issue, your BMI is measured.

It is not an obsession it is a diagnostic tool used by the NHS and in my 35 plus years of nursing woefully out of date and totally incorrect
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List