Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 14, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all... Some great points made and duly noted.

Just to make clear as reading my original post it does not but I have been to Orlando a number of times and we are taking a break for a few years to give things chance to change (new shows, rides etc).

I was wanting to get the views from those avid Orlano vacationers that have also visitied DLP and not a comparison between the two as they are obvious.

My query was is it worth a 3 or 4 night visit to get a small disney fix or will the place be a big let down as we have done the Orlando parks so many times and come home dissapointed that we went.

Obviously if I post this in the DLP forum I am more likely to get answers from those Dibbers that mainly do DLP and therefore I will not get the perspective I am looking for.

I hope this all makes sense
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 14, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Actually, many in the DLP Forum are Orlando veterans too. Try asking - you may be surprised!

But in the words of the Welsh opera singer (well, almost) ... "Don't compare! Don't compare!"

They are different holidays. It's like saying "I love custard, will gravy be a disappointment?". It will if you expect it to be custard!

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 14, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post

I think when you go has a lot to do with how much you'll enjoy DLP...I last went in January 2013,it was VERY cold but the parks were pretty quiet so we didn't have any problems meeting characters etc. I'm hoping to go again in January just after we get back from Florida for a wee 4 nighter. My Granddaughter loves it and to be honest she doesn't care if it's in Florida or Paris,she just loves Disney!
Old 20 Aug 14, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I love custard and gravy!
Old 20 Aug 14, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

You could easily spend a day in DLP doing rides that are not in WDW such as Armageddon ,Les Pays de Contes Fees, Casey Jr, Crush, toy Story Playland, Cinemagique, Anamagique, Indiana Jones, Stich Live and Ratatouille . Also the rides that they have in common, the Paris versions are usually better, particularly true of POTC , BTM and Space Mountain.
And DLP is far easier to negotiate. Just to add we have been going to both for over twenty years and would happily visit either.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 14, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree with all those who say go for it. Of course it isn't WDW, but it is most certainly a Disney fix. Crush's Coaster is a one off that you won't get at any other Disney park and is up there with the best Disney rides anywhere. Can't comment on the new Ratatouille ride, but again that's another unique one. One thing I do like about DLP in comparison to WDW is that all the parks and hotels are within walking distance.

And yeah, if you can, go in the Summer months.
Old 20 Aug 14, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post

If it's just for a short visit to get a Disney fix, then I'd say go for it.

We've been to DLP a number of times and this 'Disney magic', where you feel like you're going to well up, that people talk about only happens at Paris for me. It's a much prettier park than Magic Kingdom, so if it's just a Disney fix and not a holiday you're after, it's perfect. Three days is plenty though.
Old 20 Aug 14, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post

I would say it is definitely worth it for the Disney fix as long as you go into it not comparing it to WDW, it will never live up. I have been to WDW, even got married there but it costs a lot of money to do it the way we want to, on site stay with dining and 3 weeks, universal tickets etc and flights. Most times it comes in at around £5,000 as so far we have avoided the school holidays. We went last in 2010 when I was pregnant. Fast forward to last year and I had WDW booked but knew I just couldn't afford it so I decided that I wanted a Disney fix so booked DLRP for £800 for 4 nights, on site with tickets. My son, who was 2 at the time loved it and although it was hard not to compare, you just can't. I don't deny I complained about things while there, mainly the cost of food but that was my fault not researching it better.

So this year I booked again for DLRP, we go next month, I have 7 nights on site, with tickets and dining for around £1,500. Travel is by Eurostar which is so much easier than flying with 3 year old. I do intend for this to be my last DLRP trip for a while as we have agreed to save up for Orlando but also I think he may appreciate it a bit more when he is that bit older.

DLRP has the most beautiful castle and Dreams is amazing. There are unique rides and restaurants and is does have the magical feeling when walking around. It is worth a visit for a Disney fix as I feel it tides me over until I can save enough to get back to Orlando, which might not be for several years yet!
Old 21 Aug 14, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
suebo
Very Serious Dibber

I say go for it. We went to WDW last year and don't plan on going back until 2018. The costs involved in getting out to Orlando and WDW are crazy and now just not doable for us to go often.
I couldn't face not taking my little boy to Disney for 5 years so I managed to persuade my husband that a little trip to Disneyland Paris was needed My son loves cars and Mickey mouse and I couldn't help but feel in 5 years time when he's 7 he'll be more into the Universal stuff rather than the Disney stuff
So we're booked for February - now I plan on going into the break at DLP with open eyes (last few times I didn't) and taking Paris as it is and not comparing to WDW.
When Disney started to build Paris they took elements of Disneyland and WDW that worked and put them in and left out the elements that didn't work.
Advantages for DLP:
1. If you go for the 4 nights, 5 days option you will have plenty of time to really explore the parks and take it at a slower pace.
2. The onsite hotels are all close enough (whichever park you are in) to take a break during the day for a couple of hours
3. The 2 parks are close enough to park hop within minutes
4. As another post said, some of the rides at DLP are better versions
5. Crush's coaster & Toy Story Playland
6. There's loads of painting and sprucing up going on
7. Dreams

Disadvantages (based on the last time I went - 2011):
1. The staff may not be as cheerful as they are in Florida (tourists are what keep the taxes down for Florida residents - it pays for them to be happy and cheerful 24/7)
2. The parades might not be as fantastic
3. Not all the restaurants are open all the time (I've seen online that only a couple were open in the whole park in June this year)
I can't really think of many disadvantages

I know that DLP seems expensive for 4 nights (we are paying about £1000 for 4nights at santa fe with half board and eurostar). If you averaged that out for 14 nights that works out to be £3500 (probably what you would look to pay for WDW). I priced up to stay onsite at Disneyland California and for 4 nights with just tickets and no flights it was about £1500! So really DLP seems expensive but is on par for the other resorts.

Lastly - ITS DISNEY! Go for it!
suebo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 14, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by suebo View Post
I say go for it. We went to WDW last year and don't plan on going back until 2018. The costs involved in getting out to Orlando and WDW are crazy and now just not doable for us to go often.
I couldn't face not taking my little boy to Disney for 5 years so I managed to persuade my husband that a little trip to Disneyland Paris was needed My son loves cars and Mickey mouse and I couldn't help but feel in 5 years time when he's 7 he'll be more into the Universal stuff rather than the Disney stuff
So we're booked for February - now I plan on going into the break at DLP with open eyes (last few times I didn't) and taking Paris as it is and not comparing to WDW.
When Disney started to build Paris they took elements of Disneyland and WDW that worked and put them in and left out the elements that didn't work.
Advantages for DLP:
1. If you go for the 4 nights, 5 days option you will have plenty of time to really explore the parks and take it at a slower pace.
2. The onsite hotels are all close enough (whichever park you are in) to take a break during the day for a couple of hours
3. The 2 parks are close enough to park hop within minutes
4. As another post said, some of the rides at DLP are better versions
5. Crush's coaster & Toy Story Playland
6. There's loads of painting and sprucing up going on
7. Dreams

Disadvantages (based on the last time I went - 2011):
1. The staff may not be as cheerful as they are in Florida (tourists are what keep the taxes down for Florida residents - it pays for them to be happy and cheerful 24/7)
2. The parades might not be as fantastic
3. Not all the restaurants are open all the time (I've seen online that only a couple were open in the whole park in June this year)
I can't really think of many disadvantages

I know that DLP seems expensive for 4 nights (we are paying about £1000 for 4nights at santa fe with half board and eurostar). If you averaged that out for 14 nights that works out to be £3500 (probably what you would look to pay for WDW). I priced up to stay onsite at Disneyland California and for 4 nights with just tickets and no flights it was about £1500! So really DLP seems expensive but is on par for the other resorts.

Lastly - ITS DISNEY! Go for it!
Thanks for this - what a great response

I totally agree with everything you have said. The cost for WDW Florida is worth it but it is far from inexpensive. (2 adults and 3 kid - 9,7 & 3 - their ages, not names lol)

I think flights, villa and theme park tickets before spends is around £7.5k at the mo for us.

I have booked up for next August now stopping at the exploration hotel and flying Manchester to Paris for 4 nights. alittle over £2k so quite happy with that
Closed Thread