Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 17 Sep 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 10 - Grand Canyon & Saturday Night Vegas

Day 10: Saturday 9th September 2017

Trip Index here

A far earlier start today as we were being picked up at 07:45 for our Grand Canyon flight and tour. We arrived at the pick up point a few minutes late, only to find the shuttle bus waiting - oops! A few minutes journey where we were transferred to the "big bus" to retrace our journey yesterday as far as Boulder City Airport, about 45 minutes away.

Having been checked in and weighed (it's only a 19 seat aircraft), our flight departure at 09:15 came... and went. We had been warned that departure may be delayed as the previous flight out had to wait over an hour due to bad weather conditions en-route. We finally boarded just before 10:30 and took off 15 minutes later.

The journey there can only be described as jaw-dropping, with birds eye views of the Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, the West Canyon and along the course of the river until landing at Grand Canyon Airport at midday, a short distance from the park, and where it was raining (just like home) and definitely chilly as most people were scrambling for their fleeces and waterproofs.

A selection of photos from the trip (Facebook Link)

We were welcomed by our driver Jeff, who gave us a brief history of the canyon and it's formation on the way to the first of our two stops at Bright Angel. We had an hour here, and a boxed lunch was also provided. We walked along the edge of the canyon, and the photos don't do it any justice at all - it's impossible to get a sense of scale either of the 1 mile drop or the 8 to 10 mile width. Although it was cloudy with some mist, this actually enhanced the visit, and as the sun came out and burned off the mist, we also got the stunning clear views.

We also took the chance of having lunch which was a surprisingly good sandwich with chips (crisps! ), cookies, Apple and water, and the local squirrels were obviously clued up as they appeared as soon as the boxes were opened!

Back on the coach to our second stop at Mather Point which Jeff told us was even more spectacular than our first stop - quite how was difficult to believe, until we got there. Mather point actually juts out into the canyon so you have clear pictures along and across - again, the photos barely do it justice.

Link to Jo's Facebook post of the day

We had 45 minutes here, after which it was back on the coach and back to the airport for our return flight. We had been fortunate enough on the journey in for all three of us to have window seats, and we kept the same seats on the return journey which was undertaken in brilliant sunshine. The flight only took an hour, then a 10 minute wait for our transfer back to Vegas which was going directly to a few hotels rather than having to transfer vehicles. We were back at the Polo Towers for 17:00 after what can only be described as an unforgettable experience.

Despite only having around 2-1/2 hours at the South Rim itself, the flight and the scenery en-route more than made up for the short time there. Both Jo and myself commented we were glad we didn't drive there - as well as a 9 hour round trip, we wouldn't have seen anything like the scenery that we viewed from the plane.

So Saturday night in Vegas, and surprisingly we managed to make it out after our early start! As it was Saturday, most restaurants were heaving but we had looked at Ocean One in the Miracle Mile shops which had a reasonably priced menu, plus shorts or cocktails at 3 for $10 and beers at $3 each - no contest.

We only had a 5 minute wait before being seated outside, where incidentally they also have a storm/lightning effect going on every hour. Drinks first with Joanne having a Bombay Sapphire (x3 remember! ), myself a Goose Island IPA, and Alex being under 21 (shame! ) a lemonade. No appetisers, with Jo going for Shrimp Pasta, Alex a pizza and myself Chicken Masala with Risotto. Despite the relatively cheap price, the food was of good standard, and we also managed a Creme Brûlée and Hot Lava Cake between us - I was forced into a frozen Strawberry Daquiri to keep Jo company on her second G&T! The third G&T came in a classy take-out cup so that we could join in with the hordes of drinkers along the strip..

We had a wander up to Ceasers Palace then into the Bellagio, then a couple of viewings of the Bellagio fountains which were again spectacular. Then with our early start taking it's toll, we wandered back down the Strip to the comfort of our condo and a decent nights sleep.

2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!

Edited at 09:53 PM.
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I don't think I have ever seen such stunning scenery as I did at the Grand Canyon! It sounds like you all had an amazing day!

And a very liquid evening

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Wonderful sounding day and some beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Probably one of the best rides/tours we have done. As I said, it's hard to convey the sheer scale in the photos.

And yes Mel - a very liquid evening!
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds fantastic!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
can i ask how expensive was this? would love to do it in march

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by dozy View Post
can i ask how expensive was this? would love to do it in march
Hi,

It was $329 each - expensive, but definitely worth it especially for the views all the way to Grand Canyon (and back).

That said, we did look at various options such as driving and staying overnight (hotel around $200 plus 500 miles/9 hours driving/fuel and meals), booking one of the bus tours (approx £80 each but 16 hours on the go), or booking one of the operators who run smaller 16 seat vans (which incidentally get very good reviews) (approx £150 each).

However, it was a much shorter day - around 9 hours hotel back to hotel, and then plenty of time for a relaxed dinner.
Old 24 Sep 17, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Hi,

It was $329 each - expensive, but definitely worth it especially for the views all the way to Grand Canyon (and back).

That said, we did look at various options such as driving and staying overnight (hotel around $200 plus 500 miles/9 hours driving/fuel and meals), booking one of the bus tours (approx £80 each but 16 hours on the go), or booking one of the operators who run smaller 16 seat vans (which incidentally get very good reviews) (approx £150 each).

However, it was a much shorter day - around 9 hours hotel back to hotel, and then plenty of time for a relaxed dinner.

thanks so much - not sure if i would manage 16 hours - will start saving for this so lol
did you book before you went?

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
We only booked a few weeks before we left the UK, so about 4 weeks before we actually travelled. I did keep checking to see if they had reduced their prices, but no such luck - a few days before our trip they had sold out for that particular day on all three departure times they offer.
Old 24 Sep 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Sounds like an incredible experience!
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List