Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 17, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaston77
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

I'm another from the West of Scotland who chooses to fly from Manchester and drive back home on return. I've done this twice before and able to cope whilst family sleep! Everyone is different, I seem to not need as much sleep generally and so the drive home isn't too much of an ordeal for me even though sleep time on plane is limited. My advice is if you're in any doubt then get a day room and drive the next day. Countdown now double figures!

Edited at 11:40 PM. Reason: Just noticed Countdown...
Gaston77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
magicofflorida
Very Serious Dibber

magicofflorida's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm travelling to Gatwick from South Wales which is a 3 hour drive and have booked National Express, the drive there is easy but I cannot sleep on a plane so wouldn't risk the drive home especially at rush hour.
magicofflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Were arriving back on 12th too to Manchester with virgin.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all. We're going to stay over the night before. It looks as though it might be worth getting a day room. I don't much fancy the M25 on a weekday morning.
There seem to be no direct flights from Gatwick to Manchester otherwise we might take that option.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Can you fly from Gatwick to Manchester? We've done the Manchester to Newcastle drive abd it's awful after an overnight flight. We will do it if the price is right but I prefer not if at all possible.
No flights between LGW and MAN. Although could do LGW/DUB/MAN.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Abbey36
VIP Dibber

Abbey36's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are in a similar position, does anyone know the name of any hotels or b & b's that do Day rooms near to Gatwick? Thanks
Abbey36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Abbey1136 View Post
We are in a similar position, does anyone know the name of any hotels or b & b's that do Day rooms near to Gatwick? Thanks
I noticed the Sofitel at Gatwick North terminal was doing day rooms for 79 in April. You have to be out by 18:00
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Flowertot View Post
Getting there isn't the problem it's the way back that kills us!
Sorry to hear that.

Hang on, are you a ghost?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

We are from Glasgow and done Manchester flights - great going but coming back was an utterly horrendous drive ! This year we are doing out of Manchester and into Glasgow ! Win win
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 04:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Thanks all. We're going to stay over the night before. It looks as though it might be worth getting a day room. I don't much fancy the M25 on a weekday morning.
There seem to be no direct flights from Gatwick to Manchester otherwise we might take that option.
Hiya Sue... if you don't take the kitchen sink could the train to LGW be possible? We've twice driven Durham to Man airport over 10 years ago, never again, torture on the return. The train now takes the strain each year, even with a York change.