Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 18, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
trekkerglenn
Proud to wear my Ears

flight price question with PE and UC

checking dates and prices we have these two options

EC in/out is £2000

EC out/PE back is £2400

EC out/UC back is £3600

I've only ever dreamed of UC, my wife doesn't give a hoot as she says you feel the same bumps, creaks and turbulence no matter what seat. Me however I really want to experience more than EC.

So two questions

Is £300 pp on the return worth convincing the wife its worth it?

My children are 12 & 6, will the overall UC experience be wasted on them or annoy the other UC'ers as checking vids it all looks sooooo posh, should i just pay the £100 each pp for PE and be happy with a bit more legroom etc ?

love some advice as I've never seen such a small divide between the classes on price.

Cheers
trekkerglenn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 18, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I flew UC with VA to Washington some years ago on business with 2 colleagues from work (so I wasn't paying). We were booked in PE, but my colleague wanted a window seat, but there were none, so he blagged all 3 of us an upgrade. Yes, it is a different world with lots of space, a larger seat that seemed to be infinitely adjustable (but not to make me any more comfortable!) etc. So it was nice, but completely wasted on me. I wouldn't pay extra for it myself. In your case it is £1200 extra for one way - a lot of money - I go to MCO twice a year return for less than £1k total - there are far more useful things to spend my money on. It is only 9hrs and you don't get there twice as fast even though it is usually more than twice the price.
Can't see why your kids need it. One option is treat yourself and let the others go in economy and spend the saving on something else they'd like. PE, with a bit more leg room and bigger seat, is better value if you are taking an extra bag, which would otherwise cost you £60 or so, and would be better if you are a bigger person. On my last trip (Sept/Oct), economy wasn't full (but PE was) and I was lucky - had a row of 3 to myself both ways - and only paid £406 (plus £75 to reserve the seat).
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 18, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

UC is a good experience, PE is frankly not worth the extra money unless you need the extra bags and the upgrade price is the same as adding extra bags to the economy seats.

Frankly I would say that when spending your own cash neither of them are worth it, economy is good enough.

If you have so much money that spending 2000 or 3600 is essentially the same thing then give it a go, but if you would notice the extra 1600 not being there I think you would ultimately be disappointed that a slightly bigger seat and a couple of glasses of champagne had cost you that much - I'd much rather have a second European holiday with the money than a few more inches on the flight to MCo
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

I would go for PE Home fo the extra £400 I think it is well worth it ! It will be a nice way to finish your holiday.
Seats are so comfy, much more room an£ yes you do feel a little special!
I would lov3 to try UC but unfortunately it’s a tad too expensive! Whatever you choose enjoy.
Mrs sun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We flew uc return last time, and yes it was expensive. Going out is when you get the service, coming home is when you get the sleep. I have never slept coming home in our previous 3 times of going. This time with a lie flat bed I got 5 hours of deep sleep leaving me refreshed when we got home and very little jet lag. We will now only travel uc even if it means we have to wait a extra year to save up.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List