Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Dec 18, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Reef, Rivers and Rainforests – September/October 2018 - Day 13 - Thala Beach Reserve

Day 13 – Thursday 4th October 2018 – Thala Nature Reserve

Link to trip report index – including pre trip report:
Here

After a good night’s sleep we decided on a relaxing day today (we figured we earned it!)

We walked up to the main lodge (where reception, the bar and the restaurants are located) and had breakfast there. The setting is just stunning – the whole building is totally open sided with no doors or windows – testament to the North Queensland climate!

The restaurant had amazing views of the trees and the coastline, and the birds in the trees around were lovely to watch!

The food was really good – it was a buffet with everything you could think of on offer.

After breakfast we drove out to a nearby shop to pick up snacks and drinks for the day and then headed back to the beach. To get there we just had to walk along the paths through the villas (we took the opportunity to take some photos in the light)– it was exceptionally quiet apart from the occasional bird or animal noise. We passed the freeform swimming pools hidden away in the trees.

Eventually we ended up on the private beach and WOW!... Just WOW!

We overlooked the beautiful palm tree fringed scene with waves gently lapping the sandy beach and the sun beating down – do things ever get better than this? This little slice of paradise is going to be hard to beat in my lifetime but happy to seek the places out though!

Anyway, we just lounged about on the beach and took in the rays, then had several swims in the warm sea (lots of fish joined us!) and later I took a stroll along the beach together with lots of sand crabs scuttling around. Time passed very slowly but wonderfully! Although officially it was a public beach there was no one else there. It was honestly like paradise! There were lots of warnings about jellyfish but luckily for us the season hadn’t yet started.

Basically all we did all day was lounge around, swim, walk along the beach….just amazing!

We eventually decided to go back to the room, shower and change and head out to Port Douglas for a bite to eat. In the dark we could see quite a few forest fires on the go, some scarily near the road!

After parking up we wandered along the main stretch and came across Royal Spice Indian Restaurant. A nice looking place but completely deserted apart from a couple of waitresses on their phones.

Initial instincts said that this was a bad sign but decided to go in anyway and I think the waitresses were a little surprised to see us. The menu was pared down and the waitresses said it was a fixed menu – that suited us! There were spring rolls, chicken tikka and samosas to start with lamb rogan josh, vegetable korma and butter chicken for mains together with rice and naan bread. Total cost $27 each.

The food came up and we were very pleasantly surprised, it was really good so not really sure why there were no other diners here. Saying that, there was a large Asian contingency, tourists and locals who seemed to gravitate to the Korean restaurants in big numbers.

We checked out other places to shop and drink before heading back to Thala in the dark before calling it a day.

Early start tomorrow for our Great Barrier Reef trip!

Transport count (running total!):

Flights: 5
Ferries: 2
Trains: 11
Trams: 2
Tubes: 1
Ubers/Taxis: 3
Coaches/Buses: 8
Step Count today: 9252
Total step count for the trip: 134234

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:52 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The beach looks absolutely amazing! Lucky you!

I like the look of your dinner too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Chicken Bark
Earning My Ears

Mobile

I’m loving your report. It’s bringing back some wonderful memories as my DH and I were married in Port Douglas 17 years ago! We definitely want to return sometime in the future.
We also had a deserted beach day it was a fabulous way for us to spend Christmas Day!
Chicken Bark is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

DH and I stayed at Thala on our honeymoon 14 years ago and it hasn't changed a bit. It's so beautiful! Did you have tiny lizards all over the exterior walls of your lodge?

I vividly remember the walk down to the beach one time as a snake slithered across our paths - urgh!

Also remember having the beach to ourselves - bliss, like being an oligarch for the day!

Really shocked to see your photos of the fires though, I can't believe they we so close to the road, scary stuff.
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List