Old 19 Jul 15, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lolly90
Excited about Disney

NYC & Florida Aug/Sep 14! Day 4 - TOTR, Central Park & Empire State Building

Index

Previous Day

Monday 1st September 2014

Another early start for us today, as I wanted to get one of the first elevators up at Top of the Rock. We got ready and headed straight there, deciding to eat breakfast afterwards. We got there just after 8 and got our picture taken on the way in, which I found online.

I think we made the right decision heading here as early as possible, we managed to get all the photos we wanted and didn't feel rushed. It was a bit mistry but the views really are incredible, especially of Central Park and the Empire State Building. We enjoyed the top floor the most as there are no windows obscuring the view or reflecting in photos. We took our time up here and only left once we were starting to feel hungry.

For breakfast we headed to Au Bon Pain, which was downstairs in Rockefeller Center. after a few days of having big breakfasts, we decided today we would get something smaller hoping we would be hungry enough to have a nice lunch. Mark went for a bagel and I had a raspberry and cheese pastry. Both were really nice and good value.

We got some pictures of Radio City Music Hall before making our way in to Central Park. I had a list of things I wanted to see in the park but the park is so big and not everything was close by. We managed to see the majority of my list though. Central Park was lovely, lots to see and such a big difference from all the tall buildings in the city. If we ever find ourselves back in New York I'd love to spend more time here.

We had done so much walking over the past few days, we were getting really tired and achy feet. We were actually hungry at this point so decided to walk to Grand Central and get lunch at Junior’s, which was another place I had read lots about. We both got chicken and bacon sandwiches, Mark's with chips mine without. They were very good and so filling. Even though I was so full I couldn't leave without trying some cheesecake, I got red velvet cheesecake and Mark had strawberry shortcake. I couldn’t eat all mine, so had it boxed up but I'm glad I got it, would definitely recommend Junior's. The total cost was $52.10.

We'd been in Grand Central quite a lot already, as our nearest subway station was here but hadn't actually stopped to look around and take pictures so this is what we decided to do next. It really is an impressive station and always busy, it was great to just stop and watch the people going by.

After this we made our way back to the hotel for a little rest and to drop off my cheesecake before heading back out. The plan was to get the subway down to Doughnut Plant and get a doughnut but when we got there we discovered it was closed for the day So instead we just took a look at the Flatiron Building, which was probably my favourite building and went back to the hotel.

Dinner tonight was to be Heartland Brewery, as it is right underneath the ESB where we were heading that evening anyway.

We started with some drinks, Mark had one of their beers and I had a shandy.

I was still quite full from having such a big lunch, so just had a chicken caesar salad while Mark had a chicken sandwich, which looked more like a burger to me Both were really good once again, all the restaurants we had tried so far had lived up to my expectations, which was great.

We both had another drink and the total cost came to $56.83, which I thought was great. We then made our way up the Empire State Building. It was so busy, we had to wait ages to get to the front to get any good pictures. The views here aren’t quite as good as TOTR, so I’m glad we done this at night. It's an amazing sight to see the whole city lit up, something you have to see for yourself.

After this, we made our way back to the hotel. I finished off my cheesecake from earlier and we made sure we were packed, ready to go to Orlando tomorrow.

Next: Day 5 - From New York to Orlando

Edited at 08:18 PM.
Lolly90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 15, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Another fab day and those night time pictures are superb!

We have the Sun and stars ticket for TOTR so we plan to go first thing in the morning and then the following day to go at sunset so we get the night scene aswell
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 15, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jane2211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Brilliant 😀
Old 19 Jul 15, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

You're packing loads into your days. We only have 2 full days and a few hours I'm guessing on the day we arrive til we keel over! Will prob only have time for either TOTR or ESB but not both. Would you recommend TOTR so?
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney89
Imagineer

Great photos! Sounds like you had a fab time in NYC

Las Vegas & California - 2014
Orlando - 2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2010/2013/2014/2017
lovedisney89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
rens
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Lovely photos

Juniors looks fab...how much chicken is in those sandwiches?!

I love the idea of doing TOTR in the morning and ESB at night time!
rens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

A brilliant day, I'm definitely making a note of Juniors for lunch in Grand Central, looks so good! Liking the idea of TOTR in the morning then ESB at night too. Your reports giving me so many ideas for us and your only on day 4 haha, thanks again
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Wow your pictures from the top of the Empire State are like something from a film, amazing! Such a good choice to go at night. I think I'd like to do the same.

The Flatiron Building is my favourite too, although I'm not sure what's bigger - your cheesecake or the building .
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 15, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A girl after my own heart

Juniors Club Sandwich, Central Park, Heartlands Brewery & ESB at night! That's a pretty amazing way to spend the day.

This report is making me ache to get back there... 72 days and counting!

Edited at 10:27 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 15, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
A girl after my own heart

Juniors Club Sandwich, Central Park, Heartlands Brewery & ESB at night! That's a pretty amazing way to spend the day.

This report is making me ache to get back there... 72 days and counting!
I think I'm probably counting down your time more than you are. I'm really looking forward to your report and getting ideas for next March.
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List