Old 24 Jun 16, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

The American Pye Coast to Coast Adventure – Aug 2015 - Day 14 - Legoland

Index

Previous: Day 13 - Seaworld

Day 14 – Legoland/Drive to LA

We were all pretty subdued and sad today as before we could head off to Legoland we had to finish packing and say goodbye to our lovely La Jolla townhouse.

We got everything in the car for about 9:30am, ate a quick breakfast and left. We were all really sad about going but still wanted to enjoy the day so we got our heads in the game on the drive up to Legoland.

We’d kept today free on the itinerary (as we tend to with all of our two week hols) and had a family chat last night about what everyone would like to do on the last day. Other than the beach (there was no way!) this was next on the kids’ list. And as Legoland is also included in our Southern Califonia Cuty Pass we thought why not? Might as well get our monies worth! Plus its north of San Diego and on the way back to LA so we were heading in the right direction. And we ended up having a brilliant day.

The park again was dead so pretty much everything was a walk on! And the weather was great again – sunny, blue skies but with temps that were much more manageable.

We pretty much went on everything and the kids did all of the rides they were big enough/old enough to go on on their own.

Anna really wanted to get her Legoland driving licence

Jack insisted on having his picture taken with every single mini lego Star Wars figure but I won’t post them all on here!

Me and Adam did some stupid selfies and took some pics while waiting for the kids

We all really enjoyed looking though the Lego Movie set exhibition

And at that point we had a message off Adam’s sister to say that she had gotten engaged! She was planning the wedding for 2016 and would the kids like to be Bridesmaid/Page Boy! The kids were thrilled and we were really happy for them both (the wedding was a couple of weekends ago!)

Earlier on in the day Adam and Jack had signed up to do the Lego Mindstorm session at 3pm. They programmed robots to do different things like following lines and then performing a task. They both really enjoyed it. In the meantime Anna and I headed off to do her favourite ride in the park – The Dragon! And we rode it 4 times in a row! We just kept going around and around, getting back on again and bagging the back seats each time (it’s the fastest part remember!) she loved it and so did I, we had lots of fun.

We treated ourselves to icecream afterwards and sat in the shade to enjoy them. While we were there an American lady came over to us to ask the time. I glanced at my (new!) watch and said ten to four. At this point she just erupted! ‘OH MY GOD YOU’RE BRITISH! ’ She completely freaked out, shouted her entire family across and asked me to say the time again!?!?! I did and then they all freaked out! It was very bizarre! She then started going on and on about how much they love the UK and our accents and then made her son (who looked about 11) do his ‘british’ accent because he was so good at it – I swear to god it was the worst ‘british’ accent I’ve ever heard! But I of course had to smile and say how good it was. It was soooooo weird!

Anyway, it was almost time to meet up with Adam and Jack again. I got Jack some chocolate churros on the way as a surprise (they are both still obsessed with them and nearly died when they had some from Chiquitos a few weeks ago!)

We had a stroll around miniland then for a while

Just like Legoland Windsor, kids eat free in the restaurants after 4:30pm so around 5 we went into one of the buffet restaurants to fill up before the drive back to LA. It was just the usual pizza, pasta and salad. We’d only snacked throughout the day so it was good to have some ‘proper’ food. Although by this point I’d had enough of eating out and was very much looking forward to a home cooked meal with lots of veg!

We took a couple more pics as we slowly headed out of the park - none of us wanted the day to be over

We left Legoland as it closed at 6 after a really enjoyable day. I hadn’t been too fussed about going to be honest but we had a lot of fun together that day. And Adam and I got lots of opportunities to sit and chat while the kids did their own thing. It was lovely looking back on the holiday and taking about everything we’d enjoyed and how well we’d planned it all.

We arrived in LAX and checked into the Sheraton at about 7:30pm after a lovely drive. The sunset we saw that night was gorgeous and I tried to get a good picture of it but none of them did it justice at all.

We’d decided just a few weeks before that we were going to travel back to LA tonight rather than wait until the morning of our flight. It would have meant us being up super early to get back to LA from San Diego and we really didn’t want to risk a breakdown or heavy traffic so we’d booked the Sheraton for only $120 for the night. Check in was easy and painless, the room was lovely but to be honest all we wanted to do was get to bed and sleep. I sorted the kids out with showers etc while Adam returned the hire car (we didn’t want to have to stress about it in the morning) and got the shuttle back to the hotel.

We all climbed into bed completely exhausted and not looking forward to the long journey home tomorrow.

NEXT: LAX – JFK – MAN and Home!

Edited at 09:55 PM.
SarahJayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

It seems like you went at the right time of the holidays to avoid all the crowds, and you seem to have had a great chilled out last day.

Ha – great reaction to your British accent!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 16, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
It seems like you went at the right time of the holidays to avoid all the crowds, and you seem to have had a great chilled out last day.

Ha – great reaction to your British accent!
The accent thing was very odd! They loved us! Haha!

It was the perfect time to visit and other than the heat I'd love to go back at that time of year again.
Old 29 Jun 16, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

I'm surprised how much Legoland looks like the Windsor one. I guess I expected it to look more 'American'. The dragon roller coaster is Izzys favourite too.

So sad that it's the end but what a lovely day to end with.
Claire
X

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Erial View Post
I'm surprised how much Legoland looks like the Windsor one. I guess I expected it to look more 'American'. The dragon roller coaster is Izzys favourite too.

So sad that it's the end but what a lovely day to end with.
Claire
X
It's a lot like Windosr with the same/similar rides but it's much more spread out and spacious and it's flat so much easier to get around!

It was a great last day with an empty park and perfect weather, I'm really glad we went.