Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 May 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Diesel_Staffie
Imagineer

Mobile Is dining plan worth £1480?

We usually upgrade the dining plan from the free one, to the ddp. We stay in all stars as we like it there. When going through the figures last night it occurred to me that we would only be getting 2 snacks and the table service meal a day each as we get a ‘free’ qs anyway. So over the 2 weeks I’d be paying £1480 for 2 snacks and a ts meal a day for 2 adults and 1 child.

This seems excessive to me? It seemed worth it last time 😂

Next trip : December 2023
Diesel_Staffie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

£1480 is roughly $1801 (at Post Office rate), divide that 14 days & thats $128 a day. Depending what TS meals & snacks you buy you could probably break even but I think you’d spend the whole time ‘trying’ to make the plan worth it/justifiable that you’d almost be eating for the sake of it.. Personally I wouldn’t pay for the upgrade

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Depending on where & what you eat and adult table service meal could cost you around $60-$80(there are some cheaper ones but we like steak/experience meals which cost mor) child's meal $e15- $30 snacks $5-$6 though some are more so if you were to use all of your credits and do a lot of character meals or pick the most expensive items & have alcohol then the upgrade cost is a lot less then you would pay oop though you do have to consider the tips.
You also get the refill mug with the ddp so that's another saving

Is it worth it? that something only you can decide

for us I do like having the dining plan and the freedom to get what I want without worrying about cost and it lets us eat at places I would not pay oop for like the character meals. We are staying at a Mod this time as much as we loved all stars it was just not cost effective to stay there and upgrade the dining plan. Plus at the mods you get the free gift card which will cover a lot of our tips

also worth considering if you think you would use all the credits a lot of people have credits left over esp on a 14 night stay so that is technically wasted money if you've paid opp for it- I know you can get snacks to bring home but that's usually more of a we've got credits so better use them rather than something you chose to do upfront.

Edited at 10:20 AM.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It’s a lot of money when you consider the quality of the food.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Everybody puts a different value on 'worth' but for me and my DH it just doesn't add up. So it's a no from me
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

One reason we haven’t stayed at a Value. It actually worked out cheaper for us to stay at SSR with free DDP, than either at a Value or Moderate and upgrade.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Diesel_Staffie View Post
We usually upgrade the dining plan from the free one, to the ddp. We stay in all stars as we like it there. When going through the figures last night it occurred to me that we would only be getting 2 snacks and the table service meal a day each as we get a ‘free’ qs anyway. So over the 2 weeks I’d be paying £1480 for 2 snacks and a ts meal a day for 2 adults and 1 child.

This seems excessive to me? It seemed worth it last time 😂
Using the calculations of happy thoughts, $128 for six snacks and three TS meals per day, no I would not say it is excessive.

The snacks might use up the $28 say and then I think at some places you would maybe spend less than $100 on your TS meal, equally other times you can easily spend a lot more than that, for example if you did a character meal or had the lobster or fillet steak.

As to whether you do it or not, that I think is an individual choice and there is no right answer. I don’t have a free dining plan for my 2019 or 2020 trips, I decided to not buy one this year but I have paid £1100 for ten nights, two adults next year (that is not an upgrade but is the DDP entirely).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are considering upgrading to dxddp . It will be £580 for the four of us for 5 nights but that would get us a character breakfast each morning and 3 signatures ( inc crt) which I think would make it doable for us but everyone is different .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

There are 4 of us, all classed as adults. We are DVC owners so have to pay for it. We go around in circles all the time but always come to the same decision. Its not worth it for us. There is far too much food, if we bought it we would be left with lots of credits at the end of our stay x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
If you're a drinker, the inclusion of a drink probably helps the "worth it" maths since on most days you could be have 2 drinks that cost up to $15 each per adult in the group.

We spend a lot on Disney booze anyway, so the inclusion of one drink per meal is probably going to save us a reasonable amount over the length of our stay.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List