Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Hilton or Sheraton Tokyo Bay - which one?

If you had to choose between one of them which would it be and why?

Rooms, food, pools, location, etc?

Thanks
Old 23 May 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Sheraton Tokyo Bay, with no hesitation. (Although we haven't stayed in the Hilton, to be fair!)

We had 5 days there in 2016 before moving to another hotel further towards the centre of Tokyo, but our stay there was purely for Disney - and it was absolutely fantastic. The room was large, spotlessly clean, and so elegant with the most amazingly comfortable bed. This hotel is a Disney "good-neighbour" hotel, so it is beautifully yet subtly themed to Disney, with prints/pictures everywhere.

We didn't experience the pool as we didn't have time, but we found the reception staff to be really friendly and sweet, and very helpful. As we travelled up to the floor where our room was, we were astonished to see the Disney castle from behind us, through the glass elevator walls!

The location couldn't be better, you walk out of the front of the hotel, across a 2-lane road, and there in front of you is the monorail station. You have to buy a ticket as they are not allowed to make it a free service, but the tickets are relatively cheap and the service is incredibly reliable and frequent. You get your tickets at the station itself from an automated machine, which has two sides - an English side and a Japanese side. The monorail itself is also fully automated with no driver, and is totally Disney themed with windows and hanging straps shaped like Mickey ears! This monorail then stops at various places, Disneyland is the 3rd stop from the Sheraton, and then it also stops at Ikspiari, the downtown shopping area, which is handy.

Within the hotel itself there is a tiny shopping mall just off the reception area, including a craft shop, an art shop, an official Disney merchandise shop, and one that is a bit like a newsagents where you can pick up snacks and soft drinks etc. There is also a quick-service restaurant in the hotel that does beautiful fast food, Japanese style.

At the monorail station there is a Disney bus stop, although I'm not entirely sure whether the buses go to Disneyland - I know they go from the monorail station, over the road, and up the slope to the hotel entrance, because DH made us catch one one evening when we returned to the hotel, purely because he LOVED these little buses, and I have to admit they were very cute - I had to buy him a model of one before we left!

And one final thing - this hotel offers a free bus service to Tokyo Train Station several times a day, which we discovered on the day we had to leave there!

Before we went to Tokyo, I joined the (free) loyalty scheme of this and other Sheraton hotels, called Starwood Preferred Guest. This gets you a code for free wi-fi in your room, free bottled water in the room, potential room upgrade for free if they have any available, and then you collect points which you can save up for the odd free night as well. Worth it just for the wi-fi and water!

Anyway, this is just our experience of the Sheraton, others may have different views.

Edited at 02:38 PM.
Silvercat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Sheraton Tokyo Bay, with no hesitation. (Although we haven't stayed in the Hilton, to be fair!)

We had 5 days there in 2016 before moving to another hotel further towards the centre of Tokyo, but our stay there was purely for Disney - and it was absolutely fantastic. The room was large, spotlessly clean, and so elegant with the most amazingly comfortable bed. This hotel is a Disney "good-neighbour" hotel, so it is beautifully yet subtly themed to Disney, with prints/pictures everywhere.

We didn't experience the pool as we didn't have time, but we found the reception staff to be really friendly and sweet, and very helpful. As we travelled up to the floor where our room was, we were astonished to see the Disney castle from behind us, through the glass elevator walls!

The location couldn't be better, you walk out of the front of the hotel, across a 2-lane road, and there in front of you is the monorail station. You have to buy a ticket as they are not allowed to make it a free service, but the tickets are relatively cheap and the service is incredibly reliable and frequent. You get your tickets at the station itself from an automated machine, which has two sides - an English side and a Japanese side. The monorail itself is also fully automated with no driver, and is totally Disney themed with windows and hanging straps shaped like Mickey ears! This monorail then stops at various places, Disneyland is the 3rd stop from the Sheraton, and then it also stops at Ikspiari, the downtown shopping area, which is handy.

Within the hotel itself there is a tiny shopping mall just off the reception area, including a craft shop, an art shop, an official Disney merchandise shop, and one that is a bit like a newsagents where you can pick up snacks and soft drinks etc. There is also a quick-service restaurant in the hotel that does beautiful fast food, Japanese style.

At the monorail station there is a Disney bus stop, although I'm not entirely sure whether the buses go to Disneyland - I know they go from the monorail station, over the road, and up the slope to the hotel entrance, because DH made us catch one one evening when we returned to the hotel, purely because he LOVED these little buses, and I have to admit they were very cute - I had to buy him a model of one before we left!

And one final thing - this hotel offers a free bus service to Tokyo Train Station several times a day, which we discovered on the day we had to leave there!

Before we went to Tokyo, I joined the (free) loyalty scheme of this and other Sheraton hotels, called Starwood Preferred Guest. This gets you a code for free wi-fi in your room, free bottled water in the room, potential room upgrade for free if they have any available, and then you collect points which you can save up for the odd free night as well. Worth it just for the wi-fi and water!

Anyway, this is just our experience of the Sheraton, others may have different views.
Thank you for the detailed response
Old 23 May 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Maybe related, or maybe not. Watching Tim Tracker's current videos of his trip to Tokyo, I'm pretty sure he caught a bus from the Hilton Tokyo Bay to get him to the monorail station.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I stayed at the Sheraton in 2015 and went with it over the Hilton because it was cheaper!

But like silvercat I had a good stay and really enjoyed it there! Agree with joining the free starwood preferred group scheme for the free wifi

Btw when I was there I booked the Ocean Dream rooms, which were rooms that had been newly renovated (and were around the same price as those who hadn't been renovated) - would try to see if they had renovated any rooms recently too. The newly renovated room we had was pretty amazing!
Old 23 May 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Maybe related, or maybe not. Watching Tim Tracker's current videos of his trip to Tokyo, I'm pretty sure he caught a bus from the Hilton Tokyo Bay to get him to the monorail station.
Yes DW and I have a couple of his videos to catch up on; hopefully tonight, thanks.
Old 23 May 18, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Krispy Smores’ videos too!

We are starting to research TDR - exciting!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I too am planning a Tokyo Disney trip for next May (if I get my reward flights - roll on next month when can start calling to see if I can get...) and was looking to the Hilton.

Mainly due to me being in their points scheme - having GOLD status, so hope it might be useful in getting me... something but have not looked into it fully as not got the flights yet.

Location wise - there are only several hundred yards apart it appears, next door to each other it shows on google maps, so would not let their location be a factor in your decision.

One thing I saw on the Tim Tracker YT video I saw last night, they appeared to be able to get to a Club type lounge at the Hilton. Now I thought these were called Executive Lounges in the world of Hilton, and did not think the one at Disney had one! I hope tonight's video by them might explain what this "club room" type they have is.

First world problems
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ian180
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dancin View Post
If you had to choose between one of them which would it be and why?

Rooms, food, pools, location, etc?

Thanks
Is this the same as the Conrad Tokyo? I know it is the same group of hotels, and we have booked there for September, so was wondering if these reviews applied to that?!

Thanks.
Grand Flo.'98,'99,Xmas'00,'02&'04,'06,'07,'09,'12-NewYork-'00,'01,'03,'05,'07,'12,'14,'22--Hawaii/W.Coast 2001; Vegas-'02,'05,'07,'08,'09,11,12,14,16,19,22; Singapore&OZ-'03;HK,OZ&NZ-'05. Canada'06,12; Dubai'08,10; China/Japan'08; Cape Town'09; South America Sep'09; Nicaragua, C.Rica, Panama '14; Alaska '16,'20; Boston&Cali '22;Iceland '23.
ian180 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ian180 View Post
Is this the same as the Conrad Tokyo? I know it is the same group of hotels, and we have booked there for September, so was wondering if these reviews applied to that?!

Thanks.
The Conrad appears to be part of the Hilton group, but I'm not sure if this is the one others are talking about.