Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Nov 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

My only concern would be health and safety - do they need training ( re dangerous chemicals, hot appliances).
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

Are we talking just a small joint kitchen, (make a drink and warm up your lunch) or are we talking a large canteen based kitchen?

If the former then I do see it as just part of the job, we have a cleaner in our offices but cleaning of the kitchen is still the staff responsibility not the cleaners, so we just get on and do, occasionally there will be an all user email 'prompting' staff to keep the kitchen clean, but its still our responsibility.

If it is a large canteen type kitchen then I do think that is different if it was a job' to clean the kitchen as there will be all sorts of COSHH to think about if expected to use cleaning chemicals and H&S around equipment.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Okay without sounding harsh

As a retail manager who has worked up from a team member position im actually surprised why anyone is even questioning that it is out of line to expect them to clean.

Cleaning any area regardless of whether its customer facing or back of house is a need of any business. & will easily be met within most contracts or role profile under something along the lines of maintaining brand standards.

I spent many a sunday at 16 cleaning, scrubbing & tidying away without batting an eyelid.

Im only 27 now but even at my age I think its quite shocking that anyone in the working world doesnt think thats a requirement of working in retail let alone their parents questioning it.

What is the world coming to 😳
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
You'd imagine this would become self-policing. If everyone is mucking in to keep communal facilities in good order, those who disrespect them will soon be brought to task.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don't mean to cause any offence but if any of mine had come home from work with this I would have told them to get on with it.

I work in a health centre (office based). You wouldn't want to know what I have had to clean up over the years, I'll leave it to your imagination. And it's not in my job description.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

The union should have already been involved with this decision as there would have been a discussion on the job cuts. Part of that would have been what happens now. Why only that branch and no others?

There may be some h&s issues with certain products that would need to be addressed.

What comes next? They have clean the toilets? It's sounds like they are being asked to do all sorts of roles, perhaps without a proper process.

I would suggest that he asks what did the union say and take it from there
Old 5 Nov 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

As a hr manager a reasonable request is if a job is the same the job of tills and shop floor would be classed as customer facing and shop floor, working in the canteen is not the same and if I'd asked any checkout staff to clean the toilet they would have walked out!
I think he needs to make it clear that yes he can help out but when it becomes part of a job role it is chsnging his terms and codition from customer assisant to cleaner and needs either speak to the union if he's a member or his manager and let them kmow how unhappy its making him.
Good luck
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Same here I work as a pharmacist and I sweep the floor outside the shop ,hoover,clean the sink and anything else required
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I think he needs to seriously rethink his work ethics. He's being paid to do a job, whatever that job is. I am a medical professional, but when photocopying needs doing, and no one else is free, then I do it. In my opinion not a good use of resources but it needs doing.

I hope he never runs his own company as sometimes the toilets may need unblocking and if there's no one else to do it, he'll have to set the example.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
I think he needs to seriously rethink his work ethics. He's being paid to do a job, whatever that job is. I am a medical professional, but when photocopying needs doing, and no one else is free, then I do it. In my opinion not a good use of resources but it needs doing.

I hope he never runs his own company as sometimes the toilets may need unblocking and if there's no one else to do it, he'll have to set the example.
I agree with this. I’m a lawyer but can sometimes be found manning reception, doing hand deliveries, emptying the bin, washing the dishes, etc. I don’t think any job is beneath me, we all work together to get whatever needs doing done.