Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jan 16, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

The company where I work leave it all up to your line manager but only for immediate family. Typically, people are allowed 5 days compassionate leave. No leave would be given for a grandparent, you would he expected to take annual leave.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I was working on a temp contract when my younger sister died. Although the company I was working at were lovely and phoned/sent a card and flowers... I wasn't paid a penny by the agency. It was marked down as unpaid leave.
Every employer/contract will be different.
Sorry for your loss x
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

I work in the Civil Service.

When my Nana died, I wasn't entitled to any "free" time off, as she wasn't an immediate relative. I took a couple of days off to help my Dad sort out her affairs.

When my Dad started to deteriorate and I got a call from the nursing home, my boss told me to go to be with him. I left work on a Wednesday morning and sat with him until he passed in the early hours of Sunday. I took the following week off to sort out his affairs, attend the funeral and generally de-stress. When I went back to work, I was told that I could have a total of 5 days paid special leave and had to take the remaining three days out of my leave. I must admit I was a little disappointed, particularly as I had returned to work so soon after Dad's passing and given that I had a very good relationship with my boss. And that's after 25 years service.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I couldn't take compassionate leave when my grandmother died as she's not a category A relative. I adored her and was completely devastated but had to go to work.
Will they allow you to take unpaid leave?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My MIL passed away in March, she lived a 12hr flight away, my DH flew over and was gone for 2weeks, his work gave him just 2 days compassionate leave! The rest he took as holiday.

Fast forward and his dad passed just after Christmas. So once again he had had to fly out, but this time got a 2 week sick note from doctor, he goes back to work on Monday so we hope the sick note will not cause any problems.
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India

Edited at 09:14 PM.
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mumx3 View Post
My MIL passed away in March, she lived a 12hr flight away, my DH flew over and was gone for 2weeks, his work gave him just 2 days compassionate leave! The rest he took as holiday.

Fast forward and his dad passed just after Christmas. So once again he had had to fly out, but this time got a 2 week sick note from doctor, he goes back to work on Monday so we hope the sick note will not cause any problems.
Shouldn't do - a mental health reaction to losing a loved one is to be expected. I would much rather have a fit note from someone than have to try and use my discretion to judge a situation I know zip about.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
So much for Family/ British values - I guess nobody is allowed to have time off to mourn a loved one anyone more - Can I now thank my Grandad who was considerate enough to die whilst I had a pre booked holiday from work
Just think it is sad it has come to this

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
So much for Family/ British values - I guess nobody is allowed to have time off to mourn a loved one anyone more - Can I now thank my Grandad who was considerate enough to die whilst I had a pre booked holiday from work
Just think it is sad it has come to this
I don't think it's individual people not wanting to help. It's organisations setting the rules and managers / supervisors can get into trouble for not following them.

Our rules at work are 2 days paid leave for first degree relatives and it's my job to enforce them. I don't have any discretion (although I still sometimes use a bit) and if I go to far I can get into a lot of trouble. So, if necessary, I'll phone someone and tell them that if they need a few days off they will need to take holiday, unpaid leave or get a fit note (with the emphasis on the last part). They usually get the hint. You can even self-cert if it's 1 week.

In my experience, GP's being asked for a fit note for a bereavement reaction won't even blink before signing.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

From gov.uk:

Your employer may allow you ‘compassionate leave’ - this can be paid or unpaid leave for emergency situations. Check your employment contract, company handbook or intranet for details about compassionate leave.

So, it would seem it's whatever the policy of the employer is.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 16, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
tnkrbell
Imagineer

tnkrbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 13
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I looked into this 2 weeks ago as my grandad passed away before Christmas. He died during the week of my annual leave and the funeral was the following week. I was due to work the Monday which was the day of his reposing but I was told not to come in under any circumstances I could have it as a day unpaid leave, annual leave or make it up (Chose annual leave) He passed away in the hospital I work in and the support from management locally and higher was much appreciated (Out of hours director of nursing paid her condolences to me the evening he passed away)
Looking at our HR policy (work for the Irish NHS) only immediate family (parents, siblings and inlaws) do you get 5 days compassionate leave. If I had been organising the funeral or had I or my grandparent been living with me/them I would've received 2 days compassionate leave (3 at the discretion of my manager) Companies do differ my brother got 3 days compassionate leave while my sister had up to 5.

November Pre Trippie
Our Happily Ever After 29/10/2014 Cypress Grove Estate House Wedding Day Report
2 weeks of offsites/onsites food report
tnkrbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread