Notices

Old 10 Mar 21, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Hi Abby- I have been so quiet on The Dibb of late and have a lot of replies to catch up on too. Love the song
Just sending lots of love hope and strength - for all of our future plans
We will return to our happy place one day! We all just need a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!

Keep in touch and hopefully we will have a shiny countdown some time soon!

xx

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

It's nice to see you back Abby. I love the song it really sums things up well. I'll be sad to see the end of your pre trippy but I was thinking something very similar about mine. We have decided that we definitely aren't going this year even if we are allowed. We've booked a week in Devon with my parents instead. I've started on plans for a trip next July/August when hopefully things will be a bit more back to normal and things will be less stressful as we won't be waiting on GCSE and A Level results like we will be this year!

I'm glad you are enjoying being back in the classroom. None of my three have actually got back yet as their schools are still going through the testing process and they've all done really well but it will be a relief to finally have them back. Home learning has been quite stressful for me too as the school I work for haven't been doing live lessons so it has been very difficult to actually see how the kids are getting on. Thankfully now we're back it has been a pleasant surprise how well most of them have done.

I'm looking forward to seeing the start of your pre trip for your next trip.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
When will my (life) holiday begin?

So, I guess it's time to give up on this pre-trip report. ...

And maybe we will get to go back to Orlando this summer. If we do you can be sure that I will want to share it with you all.

Thanks for reading everyone, I hope you are all well and that you're feeling more hopeful for a return to normality.

Take care and I hope to see you all real soon with another pre-trip.

Thanks for the update Goldia. I love reading your reports and have many of the same worries and concerns as you with regard to a 2021 trip. I can't wait to read your next report.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Hi Abby- I have been so quiet on The Dibb of late and have a lot of replies to catch up on too. Love the song
Just sending lots of love hope and strength - for all of our future plans
We will return to our happy place one day! We all just need a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!

Keep in touch and hopefully we will have a shiny countdown some time soon!

xx
Hey there

We will all get back someday, I'd dearly love to know when someday is, but there's nothing unusual about that round these parts. We all wish we knew when someday is going to be today. It's pretty tough being patient but we haven't got much choice.

Hope you're all well.

Take care x

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
It's nice to see you back Abby. I love the song it really sums things up well. I'll be sad to see the end of your pre trippy but I was thinking something very similar about mine. We have decided that we definitely aren't going this year even if we are allowed. We've booked a week in Devon with my parents instead. I've started on plans for a trip next July/August when hopefully things will be a bit more back to normal and things will be less stressful as we won't be waiting on GCSE and A Level results like we will be this year!

I'm glad you are enjoying being back in the classroom. None of my three have actually got back yet as their schools are still going through the testing process and they've all done really well but it will be a relief to finally have them back. Home learning has been quite stressful for me too as the school I work for haven't been doing live lessons so it has been very difficult to actually see how the kids are getting on. Thankfully now we're back it has been a pleasant surprise how well most of them have done.

I'm looking forward to seeing the start of your pre trip for your next trip.
Gosh Jo that must have been tough not doing live lessons. This lockdown was very different to last spring and summer for me as every lesson was live. Some kids found it intimidating to speak and preferred to type in the chat but this felt much better than last time. Although it wasn't a patch on actually being in a classroom it's been so great being back in school this week. Although very odd to be near so many people, that did feel weird for the first few days. There is no avoiding being in a corridor and all packed in together as you're moving to your next lesson.

I can understand your decision to postpone for next summer. I'm not convinced we will be able to go away this summer. But there's also part of me that doesn't want to write it off either

I know, i know I'm so contrary!

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Thanks for the update Goldia. I love reading your reports and have many of the same worries and concerns as you with regard to a 2021 trip. I can't wait to read your next report.
I really hope I can write a trip report this year it is a hobby that I do really enjoy and something I've missed I'm somewhat hopeful of a trip at some point this year...that's terribly vague, but it's the best I can offer. Maybe we will get away this summer, maybe not. Maybe if summer doesn't happen then October half term will, maybe not.

Every now and then I let myself fall back into territory I went over last year...it was inconceivable that travel to the US wouldn't begin again by summer. I held on to that thought for a long time last year, I even booked fast passes 60 days out in May. Well, the last few weeks I those ideas have returned as it feels inconceivable that we'd have another summer of no transatlantic travel. But then I remind myself that everything we've been through has been inconceivable.

Ultimately all the going round and round in circles doesn't help as it's a waiting game. And we're back to trying to be patient

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Hey Abby, lovely to see you back! I bet being back at school this week is a great feeling for you.
How are Max and Kate doing?

I love, love, love the song lyrics! I’m still holding out hope for this summer but totally understand why you don’t want to commit just yet. Roll on April 12th when we may finally here some good news regarding travel!
Very selfishly I hope you get back so you can write another fantastic report 😬.

Hopefully in the not too distant future this will all feel like a bad memory and we can get back to finally looking forward to our holidays again xx

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Your lyrics are brilliant. I understand your feelings entirely. I have to admit I barely go on the dibb at all anymore and I used to go on all the time! I'm starting to feel more hopeful for this summer but at the same time, I don't want to be disappointed so I'm reigning it in. Keep hoping and dreaming and I'm sure the time will come again 🙂
Old 13 Mar 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hey Abby, lovely to see you back! I bet being back at school this week is a great feeling for you.
How are Max and Kate doing?

I love, love, love the song lyrics! I’m still holding out hope for this summer but totally understand why you don’t want to commit just yet. Roll on April 12th when we may finally here some good news regarding travel!
Very selfishly I hope you get back so you can write another fantastic report 😬.

Hopefully in the not too distant future this will all feel like a bad memory and we can get back to finally looking forward to our holidays again xx
Hey there lovely

What has been really nice this week is how all the kids have slipped back into normal school life. We all know wearing masks all day long isn't fun and we would rather not, but if this is the price we pay for a normal-ish life then I will take it over lockdown any day of the week. It's been brilliant to be able to go into school every day and see people.

Max and Kate seem to have settled back in without any problems really. Max has finally been able to get a job at McDonald's, he's been applying for part time jobs don't he turned 16 in August. Hopefully he will be able to start there soon. Are Hope and Sam ok?

I'm hoping I get to write another trip report this year too fingers crossed 12th April we get to hear some positive news. The views on the Dibb seem to be pretty polarised with some vehemently thinking there will be able to travel this summer and others who think there won't be any until later in the year or even 2022. I see-saw on this. Last year I was confident for a long time that our summer holiday would go ahead, this year I haven't got a clue. I guess I'm happy to leave it to a last minute booking. I know that will likely mean I end up paying more than others who took a punt early and booked flights, but I just can't face another round of cancellations.

So I'm trying to be patient and just wait. I can't quite believe another mother's day is going to come and go without actually hugging my mum that's going to be tough again tomorrow.

Take care x

Originally Posted by Em4owen View Post
Your lyrics are brilliant. I understand your feelings entirely. I have to admit I barely go on the dibb at all anymore and I used to go on all the time! I'm starting to feel more hopeful for this summer but at the same time, I don't want to be disappointed so I'm reigning it in. Keep hoping and dreaming and I'm sure the time will come again 🙂
I'm glad you liked the song. It was fun to do. It's much easier to write some lyrics to a fab song that already exists than to make up your own from scratch. I'm definitely going to keep hoping and dreaming. One day my holiday will begin

Edited at 05:29 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

That's brilliant news for Max, well done, I hope the job goes well for him.

How are you all doing? Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
That's brilliant news for Max, well done, I hope the job goes well for him.

How are you all doing? Xx
Max seems to be getting on well. He's doing about 15 hours a week. He was trained on nuggets, chicken sandwiches and filet of fish first. Then he moved onto burgers, which is quite stinky really. Still you have to start somewhere and we're pleased he's got a job that can fit in easily around school.

Kate has managed to watch all of Netflix, feels like anyway! She's fine though, I'm hoping she'll be able to start hanging out with friends and mooch about the shops soon.

I think Dave secretly quite likes being at home and not having to see other people. He's more than happy to potter about.

As for me, well I really struggled in the January, February lockdown. That was tough, I know it was the same for everyone... Being back in school and teaching children I can actually see is a big bonus and it's been good to return to a more normal way of working even though we have to wear masks and test ourselves twice a week. Funnily enough while I was looking forward to the easter holidays it has rather brought home that we can't do what we normally would. I'd love to be able to go to my parents and have a cup of tea in their house! In a normal working week there isn't much time to think about the things we can't do. But the last couple of days I've found it more than a little frustrating that my parents had their vaccine back in February and that we are testing ourselves twice a week so we know we are negative and yet we still aren't allowed to see each other.

We've just got to be patient a little longer. Dave and me still haven't been vaccinated, he's 49 and I'm 44, but in our area there hasn't been any spare vaccine and they are sticking to over 50s, vulnerable groups and second doses...which of course is right as we are very low risk, but it's another thing that we're waiting for.

So, in the meantime I'm trying to enjoy the simple pleasures. I've discovered I like doing puzzles.

I'm also enjoying finding new recipes and trying out new meals. I've recently discovered how to make one of our favourite wdw cocktails, Smoked Turkey, this was delicious.

Life is perhaps not quite what I'd like it to be but this morning I'm watching Ralph breaks the internet with Kate, we had hot cross buns for breakfast and Dave is putting on the coffee. We love this Joffreys coffee.

I know that was perhaps a longer reply than you wanted...maybe I should have just said "we're fine" I guess you're used to long replies from me now.

Old 6 Apr 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Max seems to be getting on well. He's doing about 15 hours a week. He was trained on nuggets, chicken sandwiches and filet of fish first. Then he moved onto burgers, which is quite stinky really. Still you have to start somewhere and we're pleased he's got a job that can fit in easily around school.

Kate has managed to watch all of Netflix, feels like anyway! She's fine though, I'm hoping she'll be able to start hanging out with friends and mooch about the shops soon.

I think Dave secretly quite likes being at home and not having to see other people. He's more than happy to potter about.

As for me, well I really struggled in the January, February lockdown. That was tough, I know it was the same for everyone... Being back in school and teaching children I can actually see is a big bonus and it's been good to return to a more normal way of working even though we have to wear masks and test ourselves twice a week. Funnily enough while I was looking forward to the easter holidays it has rather brought home that we can't do what we normally would. I'd love to be able to go to my parents and have a cup of tea in their house! In a normal working week there isn't much time to think about the things we can't do. But the last couple of days I've found it more than a little frustrating that my parents had their vaccine back in February and that we are testing ourselves twice a week so we know we are negative and yet we still aren't allowed to see each other.

We've just got to be patient a little longer. Dave and me still haven't been vaccinated, he's 49 and I'm 44, but in our area there hasn't been any spare vaccine and they are sticking to over 50s, vulnerable groups and second doses...which of course is right as we are very low risk, but it's another thing that we're waiting for.

So, in the meantime I'm trying to enjoy the simple pleasures. I've discovered I like doing puzzles.

I'm also enjoying finding new recipes and trying out new meals. I've recently discovered how to make one of our favourite wdw cocktails, Smoked Turkey, this was delicious.

Life is perhaps not quite what I'd like it to be but this morning I'm watching Ralph breaks the internet with Kate, we had hot cross buns for breakfast and Dave is putting on the coffee. We love this Joffreys coffee.

I know that was perhaps a longer reply than you wanted...maybe I should have just said "we're fine" I guess you're used to long replies from me now.
Oh that's great, it's not very often you can find jobs to fit in around school so it's great for Max, I really am pleased for him.

Sounds like Kate's exactly like Caitlin, I don't think there's anything on Netflix she hasn't seen either, great to see she's doing well though.

Lovely to hear Dave is doing well too, nothing wrong with enjoying being at home! I honestly think the whole working from home will change the way a lot of organisations work from now on. I know within the council they are looking at a blended approach and are definitely open to people working from home where possible.

You aren't alone Abby and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I myself struggled so much in the last lockdown, to the point Chris even asked me to go to the doctors as he was worried about me. Everyone I spoke was the same, I think it was a mixture of not really having a 'Christmas/New Year' as well as the terrible weather and not being able to do anything. At least in the summer we can go out for walks etc but in the winter and the snow it isn't as easy and it's cold.

I'm so glad being back at work is helping, I think just having some sort of normality really helps, I know we felt the same when the kids went back to school and they feel much better for it too. I totally get your frustrations it all seems so silly. You can go to a gym to work out with loads of other people from next week but you can't go inside a family members home with one other family ... it's madness to be honest. I hope you managed to have a cuppa in the garden with your parents last week when the weather was nice?

Hopefully you and Dave get your vaccines soon, it's mad how each area are so different with the vaccination program. I know we've always been ahead up here and they're currently vaccinating those over 40 now I think. I had mine 6th March but purely as I'm classed as a carer for Noah. So glad I managed to get it, although the calculator online estimates Chris will be due his from middle of April to end of May, but who knows.

So glad you've found something to enjoy from home and of course has to be Disney I took up diamond painting last year in lockdown too ... haven't done much of it lately but I have been doing my crochet again. So nice to have a little hobby that makes the days that little bit shorter and go quicker.

I was going to ask about cocktails you always were so good with recipes so I'm not surprised. I nearly bought a waffle maker to be shipped over so we could have genuine Mickey waffles but Chris talked me out of it

Sounds like you've had the perfect morning! Noah and I are just about to watch Honey I Shrunk The Kids

It wasn't long at all, it was exactly what I expected, I've missed keeping up with you all and how you're doing. I'm really hoping I can keep up with things now the kid's are back at school and things are starting to open up and get back to some sort of normality now, so lovely to hear from you Abby xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List