Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Apr 15, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Meet me in the Land of Hope and Dreams -DAY 10- Flying Fish and Frozenly amazed!

Welcome back
By making it to the tenth day of this report I'm hoping you have enjoyed the days that have gone before - thanks for reading and for all your comments too. Really appreciated - apologies for slight delay in getting today to you - a surprise trip to DLP got in the way

After a late night , today started slow and built towards a spectacle I don't think any of us really expected. Enjoy the read and I hope you enjoy the photos too.

Day 9 happened previously click here

The whole trip report is listed here

For anyone interested in more of our travels the 2013 trip report is here

DAY 10 - Thursday 7th August 2014

After fireworks last night and with FP’s booked for later in the day we woke slowly and had a quick thought - should we go to Animal Kingdom to see Julie's final show? ( see day 9)

That quick thought ended with a quick decision- as we opted against the voyeuristic and taking it too far approach in saying goodbye to Nemo – there is stalking and there is going for a swim and enjoying your own hols! We opted for the latter!

We breakfasted with coffee and a pastry at the Artist Palette in the main part of Saratoga Springs Resort and then headed to the main pool – settled in, relaxed and then remembered the underwater camera - why does that always happen?
So, I nipped back to get it for such stunning pictures as these…

We then had our first meet with Joanna23 and her lovely family – as previously mentioned and met on our last trip and photopass shares from previous 3 years. Unfortunately not photopassing on this one- as I have not got a clue how to share a memory maker!
Sorry Jo!

The pool time was a good one with loads for the kids to do and to be honest even the rather difficult Disney quiz got everyone in the pool involved.

We knew we had to turn ourselves around for the business part of the day but something really struck a chord with us.

In the past few trips we have really gone for it in the Disney hotel days, Extra Magic Mornings one after another after another and then gone back to the hotel for the afternoon, then crashing far too early!
Today really did show how Fast Pass + allowed you the chance to have a lot more control over your holiday.
We had booked ours for mid/late afternoon and we knew we would get a Test Track ride, together with a couple of others.
The very fact you can get in a park and get a FP for Test Track instead of having to be there early morning to get a paper FP for later in the day was having a big appeal .
It gave us the chance to enjoy the pool without feeling we were missing out on ride time in the parks.

Ok FP+ plug over !

We went back to the room and found this

A wonderful Mouse Keeping moment with pins that celebrated our anniversary.

We showered, changed and headed out again on the bus to Epcot – although the skies were darkening and the rain was heading our way- as it did, so our FP on Test track was fading fast.
We got into Epcot and headed quickly towards the ride as the weather turned – we were too late the ride had closed and the rain, thunder and lightning that struck were close and we sheltered under the canopy for more than a while!

We knew that this was a possibility but it was a pain, our next FP was for Spaceship Earth, we headed there when the rain became a little less intense – it was such a storm that if you got wet you actually felt cold –especially in the air con.

It also made us aware we needed something to see us through the next few hours – we shared one single portion of chicken nuggets for much needed sustenance.
Spaceship Earth was an excellent distraction as the rain continued.

We had a third FP at The Seas with Nemo – which despite the 20 minute wait time advertised ,was a walk on for standby and a complete waste of a FP+ for us . ( in fact the walk through the empty standby line seemed a good 10 mins! )

I headed to guest services to ask a polite and reasoned question – more about the loss of Test Track as there was no way we would be able to use this before the extended time now showing on MDE - of use before 9pm.

We got an extension for TT – that appeared on our next planned day in Epcot – so we now had two TT's for next Wednesday!
I didn’t expect to see it appear immediately but it was there immediately! A good rescue of a FP but great to see the technology work so successfully.

As we made our way, in the dry thankfully, towards Boardwalk, we felt a little less FP+ unhappy than we were 20 mins previously!

We even got a family photo outside Epcot, at the entrance to International Gateway.

Stopped off at the ESPN bar for a drink and to catch up on the USPGA Golf – a place we have never been to and we put on the list to explore another time - the food looked good as did the golf I was missing!
It was now time to head to our food place of the day - Flying Fish.

Have never been here before and wow! what a surprise – a great welcome a wonderful atmosphere and just a brilliant experience.
It is two DDP points so we took the advice of Mossyflossy( food review guru on the Dibb) and only used DDP credits for the adults - we paid for the children.

Now, this was an absolute masterstroke- it allowed us greater flexibility with our future dining and also allowed us to get another meal for the whole family. Thanks Ruth

Flying Fish were fine with this arrangement too - they were the most wonderful hosts and could not do enough for us all.

An open kitchen that had a tasting experience hosted by the chef - have looked since and with the wines offered it really is an expensive way to dine - but it did look good.

A beautiful place to eat and whilst we felt it was early in dining 7.10.( worth noting the time if you read this and looking for ideas for what comes next!)
We had eaten very little all day and were really needing something.
We were not to be let down - we had a fantastic meal – I had the steak/ red snapper duo which was amazing.

Alison had the NY strip – again fantastic without a French fry in sight and with an overload of vegetables.

As for the boys- they chose the fish option which looked like this

It was too much for Joe to finish and Josh was full too, which made us feel reassured about the child meal option - it was a massive amount and made the boys feel as though they had eaten something special- they had!

We shared a bottle of expensive wine as the boys enjoyed the pomegranate lemonade option .

The dessert was good too!

It was a memorable place to eat and to simply be in – the question was posed though- I only hope Calli Grill has the menu to beat this

Our evening was drawing to the 9pm time limit we had in mind - 2 hours in the restaurant and we could have stayed longer had we wished- we had other thoughts that were to turn our day on its head.

Our plans were to fit in our first visit to DHS just to watch the Frozen firework show - we had no idea as to what we were about to embark upon but needless to say it impacted the rest of our holiday. We just wanted to see what it was all about!

As we got the boat from Boardwalk we had the sight and sound of Illuminations in the background-

We arrived with 15 mins to spare - I have to say the boat ride simply added to the whole anticipation, excitement and wonder.

We even had time for a quick Memory Maker photo

As latecomers to the party we had no idea of what had gone on during the day but we felt like gatecrashers at a rather wonderful party!
We snuck into the crowds on the Boulevard, not too close as we wanted to see the full effect.

This has been made even more special with the removal of the DHS 'hat' in recent months - I know many hated it( I didn't!) but it dates our photos as the only time Frozen Fireworks will have the hat silhouetted with the fireworks in the background.

I had no idea at the time but you may see in upcoming trip report days , that most photos use the hat just like you would do Cinderella Castle in MK.

Never going to get these pics ever again!

There are many, many more to follow in future days - be warned now!

But WOW!
Photos can’t do this justice it was simply incredible – yes the music carries it but it was jaw dropping- wonderful and moving with a real sense of watching something truly special and dare I say something that can only be done by Disney.

We were hooked by the experience, we lifted our jaws that were still in awe of what we had seen and for the first time since forever ( see what effect it had!) we headed to Fantasmic for the 10.30 show.

As we told the boys, this was perhaps our biggest sense of their growing up and with Josh just finishing Primary School , a reminder that park days may never be the same as they were.
It was a stark reality of growing up amid Florida holidays - Josh was just 5 on our first visit and Joe in a pushchair and only 2!

We would never have previously considered the late Fantasmic show - an early park opening and fast passes needed would have ensured a rather earlier night. But this was so much more of a chill out experience for Fantasmic - no huge queue nor wait - we walked in got a drink and found a seat in the area that is reserved in the earlier show - not for us though! We sat in the middle just in front of the sound booth and just let it all soak in!

From the Frozen Fireworks to this - we had that Disney feeling!

We love Fantasmic and once again there appeared significant upgrades to the stage and lighting that we instantly noticed from our last visit - good to see, as I always think Fantasmic is a little bit overlooked and undervalued by The Disney Corporation - in a Spectromagic kind of way

We rolled into SSR at 11.45 with the bus driver spending a lot of/ far too much ( take your pick!) time ensuring the two mobility mobiles were safely aboard.

The boys were shattered and the knowledge we were on a park opening in the morning was not well received!

Alarm set -see you tomorrow

For Day 11 here

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 12:43 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 15, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Thrilled to see another day up! lovely day and evening - beautiful photos, i also love the idea of fp+ re scheduling later time in the parks - bearing in mind i have no experience of the old system... Pity about the rain re test track...glad you had such a lovely meal...we are looking forward to the frozen stuff at hs this june/ july and was thrilled to see you praising the fireworks! same for fantasmic... Hope dlp was fun!
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Thrilled to see another day up! lovely day and evening - beautiful photos, i also love the idea of fp+ re scheduling later time in the parks - bearing in mind i have no experience of the old system... Pity about the rain re test track...glad you had such a lovely meal...we are looking forward to the frozen stuff at hs this june/ july and was thrilled to see you praising the fireworks! same for fantasmic... Hope dlp was fun!
Thanks for being the first to read

This summer promises the same fireworks with many of the upcoming treats from this report

DLP was great - came home for a rest and should really do a trip report

I need to do this one first!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Wow! Just WOW! Those fireworks look truly awesome. I think I would be picking my jaw up too. I really hope we get to see them this year.

Some beautiful,family photos on your memory maker too.

It reads like you've really made the best out of the day, relaxation, good food, new experiences and more great family memories.

Hope the surprise dip trip was a massive hit too!
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 15, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great day and as you say booking fast passes before does make for a nice relaxing morning, instead of getting to parks early and rushing to get fast passes on the day your meal and the fireworks look fantastic

Joan
Old 19 Apr 15, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Lovely day and the Frozen fireworks look amazing
Old 19 Apr 15, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

Another great day, sounds really relaxed, enjoying this report

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 15, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
Wow! Just WOW! Those fireworks look truly awesome. I think I would be picking my jaw up too. I really hope we get to see them this year.

Some beautiful,family photos on your memory maker too.

It reads like you've really made the best out of the day, relaxation, good food, new experiences and more great family memories.

Hope the surprise dip trip was a massive hit too!
Thank you so much - you will get to see the Frozen fireworks - your countdown looks rather good

DLP was great, thank you - a real surprise and yes I may get around to a trip report for there too

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great day and as you say booking fast passes before does make for a nice relaxing morning, instead of getting to parks early and rushing to get fast passes on the day your meal and the fireworks look fantastic

Joan

The later FP's made the day for us - glad you liked the food and fireworks too
Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Lovely day and the Frozen fireworks look amazing
Thank you and they are simply amazing

Originally Posted by TracyW View Post
Another great day, sounds really relaxed, enjoying this report

Thank you appreciate you reading and posting a comment - makes me want to type some more!

Old 20 Apr 15, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Wow what an amazing end to the evening. Loved the pictures from the boat leaving the Boardwalk, really special.

Your food looks lovely, I'm really looking forward to the duo. We've eaten at ESPN and the food was just okay, we wouldn't go back.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Wow what an amazing end to the evening. Loved the pictures from the boat leaving the Boardwalk, really special.

Your food looks lovely, I'm really looking forward to the duo. We've eaten at ESPN and the food was just okay, we wouldn't go back.
Never usually do food photos but have made a bit of an effort on this trip - I normally remember to take a pic once the food is half or fully eaten
Thanks you for ESPN food advice much appreciated

Our end of day was special - I got goosebumps typing it as it was brilliant having the ability to enjoy such a wonderful meal and then see illuminations and then see what we did at the StudiosHave just posted Day 11 too - inspired by so many lovely comments so far

Thank You